Chapter 49

People were murmuring with interest. One even attempted to touch me to see for them self the damage the stone does to me. "Thankfully I have been granted an Asgardian enchantment that protects me from the more disastrous effect of the curse," I say simply. Someone actually groans at that. Horrible mortal.

"As is common trade with sirens, my abilities include hypnosis and a siren's charm, though I also possess telepathy and a marginal healing factor. Though I feel that abilities that break free will should remain untampered with, in most cases. It is a violation of one's privacy to see their thoughts and it goes against free will to force someone to do your bidding. I prefer to allow things to play out as fate intended, if it can be helped."

People seem to think that this makes me more trustworthy and likeable, which is good. I offer a small smile to the crowds. "I hope I can use my abilities to benefit others. But most of all, I wish for people to understand that my kind are not enemies or monsters or creatures needing to be killed. And we are certainly not witches. That is Wanda."

I earned laughter from my joke.

"I do not feel comfortable sharing my true name with such a large audience," I conclude. "So I will simply go by my alias, the Stone Siren. Thank you all for your time and I apologise for leaving you to listen to Stark."

There was more laughter, but this time it was among cheers and applause. I smiled and waved slightly as I walked over to stand by Wanda and Vision before the questions would begin. Tony and Steve made a inclusion before allowing people to ask questions.

"How did you meet the Avengers?" Was the first question that I received. "I was captured by an illegal organisation due to being a witness to their criminal activity," I answered. "They used me as a test subject for two weeks. I did what I could to gain assistance. Their base was underground, so whenever somebody walked along above us, I would hypnotise them to contact help. The police attempted to enter, but were stopped. The Avengers were then sent in. They had much more success. Before I am asked for any information on it, I would rather not speak much more about my capture, if possible. It was not a pleasant experience."

But the questions continued and I found myself unable to answer a few. I would do my best, but some were about things I didn't actually know, like how do I differ from Spider-Man when he was enlisted as a temporary Avenger once. I had to admit that I didn't know who Spider-Man was. The crowds were shocked, to say the least.

"I do not demand details about the associates of the Avengers, among other things," I say simply. "And I do not gather intelligence on somebody for the sole purpose of knowing who the rest of the Avengers know. If this Spider-Man is an ally to the Avengers, then I trust them to be out there, wherever they are. If they were an enemy of the Avengers, well... they would not be out there for long, let me tell you that."

My next question asks what it's like to live with the Avengers.

"Well... the Avengers are all very remarkable people in more than their abilities as heroes. Wanda here is one of the nicest people I have ever met, she always makes time for others. Thor is essentially a giant goofball who lacks voice volume control, he always seems to be in a good mood. Vision, well... let me just say that he is the only one who will ever be able to give people kitchen utensils for Christmas and receive genuine laughter instead of criticism..."

As I spoke, the crowds continued to laugh from the point where I began describing Thor.

"... Falcon (Sam) mostly stays out of my way, but I can sincerely tell you that he loves video games more than life itself. Black Widow (Natasha) is actually very nice when she is not attempting to destroy you in training, she - along with Wanda, of course - has become my best friend. The Hulk himself is merely a guilted soul who's fight or flight response has been altered to fight each time, while the man beneath the green is intelligent, awkward in social situations and one of the warmer Avengers..."

The description of Hulk and Bruce shock people. They think of the Hulk as a wrecking machine, cruel and only on the Avengers to keep his damage to a minimum. They never even gave someone like Bruce a single thought.

"... I am very sorry to say that Tony Stark is still as egoistic in private as he is in public (more laughter from the crowd and a shrug from Tony. He knows I'm right) but Captain America is just as kind, intelligent and talented as he appears to be. His artwork is incredible. He even designed the dress I am currently wearing, despite professionals creating it for him."

This insight to Steve's more creative side is a real treat to the crowds, if their thoughts are to be trusted. Though Steve is embarrassed. "The Avengers are wonderful people," I conclude, much to Steve's relief. "I owe them my life. Possibly twice over. This is a debt I hope that I will not have a chance to repay, but should it come to it I will gladly repay it."

The final question is for me; "Do you have any sort of signature weapon?"

I take my barb from it's small magnetised holder and elongate it, holding it up to the light. The crowd gasped and cameras begin flashing again. I retract and replace the barb after a few moments to let them awe over it.

"The barb was passed down throughout several generations," I explain. "Only I can activate it. It is a treasured weapon. It has been too long since I last used it in the heat of battle."