Chapter 39

Sam was next to had out presents. I ended up with a large bar of chocolate, which, especially considering Vision gave me a spoon, is pretty nice.

"Last one!" Tony announced. "Come on, Thor, whatcha got for us? Asgardian weapons? Or did you stick to Earth?"

Thor rolls his eyes, simply throwing Tony his while he hands them to everyone else. Except me. Everyone looks to him expectantly, all assuming he forgot to hand me mine or that he had to make multiple trips to grab them all and mine just so happened to have been left. But he just sat and waited for us to begin. So we did. Of course, Tony opens his first, then Steve and so on.

When it gets to my turn everyone pauses, but I simply look to Loki since he's the next in line with a present. I honestly don't mind too much about not getting anything. The trip to Asgard was more than enough.

"Lady Lexis," Thor is grinning now. I look at him, confused. "I apologise for not giving you your present before. I could not exactly wrap this one." Everyone around us stops giving Thor glares for not including me.

"Come!" Thor bellows. The scampering of little paws pattering along is heard, then a familiar face appears, coming out from their hiding spot behind the counter. They hurry over to me, sitting at my feet, little tail wagging and pink tongue lolling.

"This is one of Freki and Geri's pups, is it not?" I ask, staring at the little wolf cub in surprise. Everyone else is doing the same, save for the Asgardian who called for the pup.

"She is," he confirmed. "Freki and Geri... they disowned her. Thought of her as too weak. They are prideful by nature, but even more so by nurture. They thought it unbearable to be seen with a weak pup. Father asked me to get rid of her however I wished, even if she was sent to Midgard as long as it was into the care of someone trusted. He deems you worthy of caring for an Asgardian wolf. This is my gift to you, my lady, but only if you wish to accept it. I will not force you to take her into your care should you not be willing."

The pup whined softly, looking up at me with big, sorrowful eyes. I laugh. "Even on Asgard, I see canines have discovered the 'I am pitiful' look. How could I resist?" I offer her my hand and she lets out a tiny, happy howl, then nuzzles me affectionately. I scoop her into my lap. "I will gladly accept her if she is happy with it. Thank you so much, Thor. She is beautiful."

"I thought you said not to be too extravagant," I hear Vision whisper to Wanda. "I don't understand why Thor is allowed to make us look... what's the word? Cheap."

"Vision, you gave us kitchen utensils," I deadpan. Everyone laughs, even my little wolf cub lets out a sort of chuckle. I tickle her under her chin and she grins, tail wagging.

After Loki opens the present Thor gave him (a snow globe. I thought it was in good taste) Tony stood up. "Alright, that's all of 'em until the rest of the Bartons get here! Everyone enjoy your stuff, because after the food I don't care anymore!"

We all laughed at that. I decided it was as good a time as any to become more familiar with the little wolf cub, who was looking up at me. "She will grow bigger than Midgardian wolves," Thor warned me, petting her little head with his finger. "But she is also much more intelligent than Midgardian wolves. She is just as intelligent as you or I. She will also live much longer than any mortal, though hopefully this shall not be a problem for you."

She yawned, causing Thor to chuckle. "But she will need a name, preferably an Asgardian one in case she outlives you and must return to Asgard. I can say I wish that not to happen, but unfortunately it is always a possibility."

I nod. "I will find a name suitable. Again, many thanks, Thor. It was truly too much." "Think nothing of it," he tells me, smiling. "I needed to find a home for her regardless and I saw how you loved caring for the wolves. Even Odin himself saw you as worthy to care for her. When I suggested Midgard as a home for her he said that he would only be happy with it if one of my most trusted companions such as the Stone Siren were to care for her. He trusted you with her."

I look down at the young Asgardian canine, awed once again. "Then when next you see him, please thank him as well on my behalf." He chuckles and nods, then leaves, carrying his newly acquired belongings with him.

Hello, there, I say to the pup telepathically. She yelps and looks around. What was that?! Who is there?! Hello?!

I chuckle. Sorry to startle you. It was only me. My abilities include mind reading and telepathy, among other things. Are you alright?

She looks up at me with surprised eyes. You are in my head? Can everyone here do such a thing?

Only Loki can, I answer her question. So unless anyone here can understand the language of an Asgardian wolf, only he and I have a method of communication with you.

Okay! She nodded. I shall do my best to please you, Mistress!

Please, do not call me anything of the sort, I tell her. Mistress makes me sound like a slave owner and you are a companion, not a slave.

Then I am happy to be your companion!

As I chuckle, Loki comes over and coughs lightly to gain my attention. "Lady Lexis, I was hoping to give you this when the gift giving was occurring more commonly, but the Tin Man left me out," he began. I held back a laugh at Tony's nickname.

He handed me a box. I looked inside curiously, then removed the choker necklace and attached it around my neck. It was a plain black ribbon with a single amethyst in the centre of the neck, on prominent display. It fit surprisingly comfortably.

"Thank you, Loki, it is beautiful," I smile to him. "There is more," he says, a smirk reaching his lips. "The gemstone contains an Asgardian charm. When you wear it, it will reverse only one part of your curse."

My grey eyes widen and I look to my hands, then slowly reach out to him. I suck in a breath and feel my fingers make contact with his cold skin.

And my fingers remain as skin, too.