Eleven: Spotlight

The sound of a bustling crowd filled the air as Kyret and Luke entered the lobby of the Ohio Repertory Theatre. Incessant chatter from various sources soon blended to become one consistent buzz, their tones higher in pitch with anticipation. The two went up to the box office to survey a young Caucasian male dressed in a tuxedo that seemed too tight. On that ill-fitting tuxedo’s lapel gleamed a golden nametag that read Monty. Monty’s eyes rolled when he saw Kyret and Luke approaching his desk, and he muttered “It’s sold out.” before Luke could open his mouth. Luke and Kyret sighed and stepped back from the desk.

“How are we going to get in?” She pressed. Luke’s hand grazed his chin and he spotted a door on the side that was marked ‘Employees only’.

“I have a plan.”

He laced his fingers with hers and pulled her towards the door. He looked around for security. One guard was standing next to the lobby entrance busy texting on his Iphone, the other behind the desk next to the ever enthusiastic Monty. The coast was clear. They pushed the door open and sneaked inside the dark corridor. The hallway was clear.

“There must be a way to the audience through here.” Luke gathered. They continued down the walkway to a large door on their right. Behind it, they could hear the chatter of the impatient audience members.

“That’s it.”

They gently pressed it open to see people sitting in the house of the theatre. Kyret spotted two empty seats close to the door and lead Luke to sit.

“I’m a little excited.” Kyret revealed, her right foot bouncing in eagerness. She had always enjoyed magic and magicians, but it was another thing her mother looked down upon. It was said that imagination was nothing compared to reality. Now she would finally get the chance to see a magician. And meet someone gifted like her.

Kyret’s thoughts were interrupted by a deep thundering noise she recognized as a drum. The lights then dropped to pitch black, with a single spotlight swirling to and fro.

An energetic voice then rang within the theater, speaking slowly and full of life.  “Ladies and gentleman. Boys and girls! Dudes and dudettes! The Imagination Station Entertainment Company is proud to present the one and only boy wonder! The amazing, the awesome, the almighty Aiden!”

The spotlight then centered itself on the curtains. The black, velvety curtains pulled back to show a bare stage. Kyret looked at Luke in confusion. She then looked around to see if someone was seeing something she couldn’t to no avail. How could a magician fail to show up to his own performance?

Suddenly, all audience members turned around to look at Kyret and Luke. The spotlight then focused on them and they blinked to shield their eyes. The audience erupted in applause and cheers and hoots to a confused Kyret and Luke.

“Who are they clapping for?” Kyret pressed.

A male’s voice with a heavy british accent whispered into her ear. “For me, of course.”