Six: Anticipation

Luke immediately rose to his feet, his teeth clenched in excitement. “I’ve been waiting.” He said.

                Kyret cocked her head in confusion. “For what?”

                Luke goes to the light bulb and smashes it with his boot, making the once fully illuminated apartment now engulfed in darkness. “For this.”

                In an instant, the low murmur of speaking voices ceased. And a loud thump took its place.

Thump. Thump. The door creaked in disapproval. Kyret braced herself for their entrance.

                With the door’s final plea, it fell to the floor and behind it came a rushing sound of feet and strength. Kyret hid under her desk and breathed steady breaths to stay concealed. Without notice, she heard a lot of scuffling and a thump to the ground. Then she heard another, and another. All of them came from different areas of the room, and happened back to back.

                “Kyret Yin! This is the NYPD! Don’t move a muscle!” Cried a very frightened officer. He frantically searched for his flashlight, all the while straining to hear someone near. When the officer heard a low giggle, his eyes bulged out of his head and he continued his search. Once he found his flashlight, he shined it all around him. Then he shined it to the floor. He examined a flash of navy blue and looked closer. An officer. He kicked it for a response to no avail. His breathing becoming rapid, he shone the light on another area nearby and found another body. With increasing fear, soon he realized that every officer had been killed and silently tossed to the floor.

                With all the hope in his body left, he ran for the door only to get his neck snapped in one quick and fluid motion. His body sank down onto the floor with a thud.

                Kyret’s breathing was now ragged with anticipation. The thought of hearing everything but seeing nothing specifically terrified her. She was sure her power was not ready for use.

Suddenly a hand was pulling her from under the desk.

                Next, she hears Luke’s deep and reassuring voice uttering two words. “Let’s go.”

Luke and Kyret rushed down eight flights of stairs to run to the back alley. Luke pulls her with his strong grip to a motorcycle close to the dumpster. He straddled it and started it, and it roared to life with the vigor of a thousand men. Luke tapped the seat behind him twice, beckoning Kyret to get on. Kyret frowned.

                “What?” Luke asked. She hesitated for many reasons. The most important being that she had never ridden one of them before. She hadn’t because she wasn’t supposed to. Her mother always called them deathtraps that shamed their culture. Though she was offered many times by her bad boy boyfriends, she had always refused and stuck to her beliefs. Or her mother’s beliefs.  But Kyret gave the bike one more glance. The look of this motorcycle made her extremely uncomfortable. It was a deep black, shiny with an angular design. Sleek and stylish, it resembled its owner. Either way, it was too lean and looked quick. It would be just her luck to crash, fly off and scar up her face. If she was ugly, she would never get a stable boyfriend, right? Right. She thought.

Kyret turned in the other direction and called, “I’ll walk. But thank you.”

Luke laughed aloud and shook his head. “Either get on, or get caught.”

Kyret weighed her chances. If she got caught, she would most likely get arrested and sent to prison. But she was tough, she could do prison. Though the media gave it a horrible image, it probably wasn’t that bad. She was fed. She got to take walks. She would even make friends. But then she realized that the friends in prison probably weren’t like the ones outside of it. A hot little thing like her would be the wrong kind of popular. She gave the bike one more glance. She could just smell the danger oozing out of its chrome pipe. And somewhere deep, deep down, she liked the scent.

                She sighed and straddled the bike reluctantly. He handed her his helmet and she buckled it tightly. Luke roared the engine again and she squealed. She clutched his frame tightly in fear.

                Luke smiles and they took off, the motorcycle whisking them away from the latest crime scene. Kyret didn’t know where they were going and when they would get there, but she hoped and prayed that someone beyond this atmosphere kept her safe and sound.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short chapter, I know. But big things are coming up soon! Stay tuned!!