Ten: Impervious

Kyret awoke to something appetizing. Eggs, bacon and maybe toast? Her stomach howled for more investigation, so she smiled and allowed her eyes to open. She was still on the worn leather couch in the living room of the cabin, naked under the thin burgundy sheets that covered her frame. She looked to the stove where caught a glimpse of Luke. He absentmindedly cooked eggs within the skillet, his powerful arms moving in a rhythmic motion that captivated Kyret. She then silently got up and wrapped the blanket around her and trotted behind the oblivious Luke. She quickly gave him a peck on the neck and giggled.

“You’re awake.” He announced. He let his head turn to give Kyret a quick kiss.

She laughed playfully and replied, “Forget food. That was all I needed.”

He laughed and continued to cook. “You had better eat. We’ll be leaving soon.”

“Why?” Kyret huffed.

“I just wanna make sure no one’s on our trail. Gotta stay one step ahead of ‘em.” Luke reassured. He turned and his expression became serious. “I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I’m a big girl, Luke. I can take care of myself.” She replied, flashing a bit of leg through her blanket.

To that, Luke grinned. “I know.” Then he gestured to a plate stacked with fresh breakfast on the counter.

She took the plate and devoured it, savoring every bite. “A black man that can cook? Rare.”

He laughed heartily and continued stirring. “Yeah, my mother taught me. She sure could throw down in the kitchen, man.”

Kyret paused between bites. “Where is she now?”

Luke frowned. “With the big man upstairs. Probably cooking him breakfast.”

They laughed in unison.

“So where are we headed now?” Kyret questioned.

Luke pulled a folded sheet a paper from his pocket and handed it to her. “Have you seen this?”

She unfolded the paper and read aloud.

The Almighty Aiden!

The amazing teen magician who is impervious to knives and even bullets!

He doesn’t bleed when cut! He doesn’t bleed when shot!

Come witness his newest act “The Suicide Event”

At the Ohio Repertory Theatre on August 18th at 7.p.m!

Tickets are $10 per person!

You won’t want to miss this!

 “You think he’s...super.” Kyret muttered.

Luke turned away from the stove to face her. “I think he deserves our attention.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------