Chapter Nine

(Rain's P.O.V.)

Damn, I'm so tired from working at the party yesterday. It was a lot of fun of course, but we had a lot more people come than we thought so it was a lot of work. Pa even let me sleep in for an hour knowing how late it was when I got to bed.

"You look like a wreck," Dad says while ruffling my messed up hair. I haven't bothered getting ready yet.

"Gee, thanks," I say and playfully roll my eyes. Pa sets a plate of sausage gravy and biscuits in front of me. I smile at the delicious smell.

"I decided to make your favorite breakfast considering how hard you worked yesterday." He sits down next to me and pulls out and throws Clover a piece of meat that she catches happily.

"So, what's the plans today?" I ask while shoveling my food in my mouth. Damn, it tastes amazing. Pa really has the best cooking skills. He did work at a part-time job as a cook while they were in college before I was even in their lives though so I'm sure he learned a lot there.

"We only have two appointments today so it shouldn't be too busy. The class is going to come around eleven so we can talk to them an hour before the first appointment arrives. It's actually Jacob first and Molly at one," Dad says. The happy feelings I got from my favorite meal leave at the mention of the class. I've been stressing over having to see Johnny again but hearing that he'll be here soon puts makes me annoyed.

"I'll be professional and try not to let Johnny get to me today." Dad pats my back and stands up.

"I'm sure you'll be okay. Jacob will probably keep you distracted," he says. I smile at the mention of my new friend. We haven't talked much since the first party, but he did text me so I have his number and told me he looks forward to hanging out again. I know today will just be for an appointment but maybe we can hang out afterward when I'm not working.

"If Johnny does give you any trouble you dad and I will handle it." I nod and put my plate in the sink. It's about time to give Ying-Yang his morning bottle so I head upstairs to get ready before hopping on the four-wheeler to head to the barns.

Man, Ying-Yang sure is hungry this morning. As soon as I gave him the bottle he started drinking it like he's never eaten before. He's still gaining weight so I don't think it means anything is wrong. He's probably just excited to be eating.

"You're such a beautiful colt but you do need to learn some manners," I say with a laugh. It's a shame he was a drop-off but I'm glad I get to care for him. He reminds me of Sullivan when he was young.

"Hey, Raindrop, I have a favor to ask you," Dad says as parks the side by side. I put Ying-Yang in the field and put the bottle down.

"Yeah?" He holds up a piece of a bag that holds all the horse food and sighs.

"I believe a rodent got into all our feed. Most of it was wet and yucky from being exposed to the frost last night. Your Pa and I have to head down to the supply store to pick up some more. Do you mind greeting the class and showing them around if they show up while we're gone? I know you don't want to talk to Johnny bu-"

"I'll do it," I interrupt with a smile. "I can't mix personal business with work."

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Dad always worries too much. I can understand why and I definitely appreciate it but I hope he'll understand I am turning into an adult soon.

"I'll be fine, Dad, don't worry. I can handle it!" He gives me a quick hug and gets back in the side by side.

"Thanks, you're the best!" He gives me one last smile and returns to the house.