"EL LEÓN" - Chapter 22

FEBRUARY 28, 2018
HEREFORD, ENGLAND
Rainbow HQ - Gym

     Jackal lifted the bar for one final bench press before easing it back into its cradle. He sat up on the weight bench with a grunt and wiped his face with a towel.

     He and Mira had been restricted to limited access to the facilities at HQ, isolated from other Rainbow operators at all times. Four on-base guards with the British SAS had him under supervision around the clock. Director Six was taking no chances.

     Ryad took a swig of water from his canteen and looked to the SAS guards. They glared back at him, and he flashed them a middle finger with a smirk.

     The doors to the gym opened, and Ryad's smirk faded when Director Six entered, followed by Elena.

     Six waved the guards out. "Step out, please."

     The guards obeyed immediately after offering a brief salute. When the door closed behind them, Ryad stood at attention. "Señora Director."

     "At ease, Ramírez." Director Six straightened her suit jacket. "Sit down, both of you." She motioned to the neighboring weight bench, and Elena flashed Ryad a subtle smile before taking a seat.

     Six paced about in front of them for a moment, arms folded and eyes icy. "I don't need to tell either of you how badly I could punish you for what you've done. The list is long. I could have you shot." She squared herself at Jackal and Mira. "Seriously. I could have you marched right outside to the firing range and executed. Do you know why?"

     The operators didn't answer.

     "Because I can. I don't have the same restrictions as other commanders. Do you know why that is?"

     Ryad and Elena looked at each other, but said nothing.

     "Answer the fucking question."

     Jackal shifted uncomfortably. "No. I don't know why."

     Six might have been stretching the truth a bit, but she was furious and wanted to make sure they knew it. Her eyes burned into his. "There is no unit like ours in the world. We are successful because very little people know about us. There are black ops - and there's us. There are people who promise success, and people who deliver it. I always deliver, because my team always delivers." The woman paused. "With me so far?"

     Jackal and Mira nodded.

     "My superiors - trust me, there's not many - would rather have me clean up a mess like you and never know about it. We all trust each other to make the big plays in a game the world knows nothing about. You compromised that trust the second you went rogue." The Director shook her head. "We don't fuck around. Do you have any idea how many Tier One operators out there would kill to have your jobs? Kill to be a part of this team?"

     Mira nodded. "Sí, Director."

     "That was a rhetorical question. I know you know. That's why I'm so disappointed. Ever since Velvet Shell in Ibiza, I've been able to count on you both. Your teammates have trusted you. Respected you." The woman sighed. "You threw everything away in an instant. No warning."

     Ryad cleared his throat. "We told you why, Director."

     Six eyed him angrily. "Right. I suppose I'm overreacting. How dare I."

     "Sorry. I didn't mean-"

     "Shut up, Ryad." The Director stepped near them and softened her tone. "Both of you listen to me, right fucking now. You both are excellent operators, and there are years of valuable experience between you. You're two of the best combat specialists in the entire world... but that's not why you're still here getting lectured. You still listening to me?"