"TRUE DARK" - Chapter 2

"TRUE DARK" - CHAPTER 2
FEBRUARY 20, 2018
CEUTA, SPAIN
North of San Amaro Park

     Elena.

     Mira lay in bed. The room was dark. She had the covers pulled tight around her, yet she was cold.

     She shivered. She knew that voice.

     Elena. Do you see?

     Elena Álvarez strained her eyes to see through the dark. "Faisal?" she called in a whisper.

     The bedroom window was suddenly bathed in moonlight that streamed brilliantly through the blinds. A majestic, dreamy blue glow filled the room, and he was there.

     Elena sat up swiftly. She was scared for only a moment - when Faisal stepped into view, his face overpowered her fear with warmth.

     He neared the bed. His aura was disarming. Faisal reached for her, and Elena felt no need to move. His hand fell softly upon her shoulder. "You're safe."

     She looked up at him with starry eyes. Faisal's presence was alight, otherworldly.

     He sat on the bed next to her and brushed a few stray strands of hair from the woman's eyes. The intimate action didn't bother Elena. Perhaps it should have.

     "You are safe," he repeated.

     Mira finally mustered the will to speak. "Why are you here?"

     The man stared blankly.

     "Am I dreaming?" she asked.

     "Yes."

     Elena tilted her head in question, unsure of what to say.

     Faisal slowly ran a hand from the round of her shoulder to her neck. She should have pulled back. She should have been alarmed at his touch - but she wasn't. It felt right. It felt okay.

     "Don't be afraid," the man whispered.

     "I'm not."

     "I've missed you."

     The words sounded strange. Logic scoffed in Elena's mind, but her heart felt differently. "I've missed you too."

     Faisal smiled in response, but it was gone quickly. "You and Ryad are both in danger." The man's eyes suddenly went dark. The moonlight vanished, reducing the man and all around him to darkness. "Shadows come for you, Elena."

     "Faisal?" Alarmed, Mira reached for him in the dark, but her hands felt nothing. "Faisal? Where are you?"

     "Elena?" His voice sounded faint. "I'm right here. You cannot see?"

     "No," she murmured. Her eyes narrowed in concern as she reached both hands through the dark once more. "Faisal, I can't see-"

     She was unable to utter another word. Elena felt an invisible hand grip her throat. Cold fingers dug into her neck with impossible strength. She could feel the wind escaping her lungs.

     "Let go of her!" she heard Faisal yell.

     Elena couldn't clutch at the wrist of whoever - or whatever - was choking her. She could not move. All she could do was gasp for breath.

     "I said, let go!"

     The dark bedroom grew darker. Mira became dizzy. She felt her eyes roll up in the back of her head. Tears began to stream down her cheeks.