"EL LEÓN" - Chapter 20

Silence met him.

     No scratches.

     No telltale thumping or sinister whispers.

     Jackal blinked and rapped his knuckles on the wall, wondering momentarily if he was knocking on the devil's door. He put an ear to the wall and listened intently. "Is someone there?"

     Still nothing.

     Everyone waited, holding their breath, pupils dialated with focus.

     Ryad scratched his nose with gloved fingers and cleared his throat. "We can hear you. Knock again if you hear me." He tilted his ear to the wall again.

     "Find something?"

     Jackal jumped, and he wasn't alone in being startled. The rest of the team turned on their heels and snapped their aim behind them towards the voice.

     One of the GEO men from earlier was standing in the doorway. The man flinched when ten different weapons were turned on him, turning his head away and thrusting his hands up.

     "Jesus! Don't shoot!"

     Everyone sighed and lowered their guns. "What the fuck?" scolded Caveira.

     The GEO sergeant lowered his arms. "We heard weird noises. I came to check it out."

     Caveira bared her teeth angrily. "You almost got yourself lit up by a firing squad."

     "Wait," Ryad said, motioning for Caveira to calm herself. "You heard noises?"

     "Yeah. It sounded like... scratching. Someone taking a metal rake and running it along the walls."

     "Fantastic," Kruger muttered.

     "Where did you hear the noises?" asked Ryad.

     The GEO sergeant pointed to his left and right. "All the way up and down the whole fucking tunnel. Scared the shit out of us."

     Dokkaebi was going to say something, but the scratching sounded off again, prompting everyone to whirl around and eye the wall nervously.

     "Everyone else hear that?" Nomad asked.

     A chorus of affirmatives replied. Jackal turned to the GEO sergeant. "Sergeant - get your men and meet us here. Quickly."

     Less than half a minute later, the GEO sergeant returned with six men, bringing the total of special weapons and tactics operators in the room to seventeen.

     Ryad was done talking to the forbidding noises beyond the walls. He lifted his rifle and slammed the butt of it into the drywall. Chips of paint and plaster spackled his balaclava.

     He swung again. And again.

     By the fourth swing, the man had opened up a rough hole the size of a fútbol. It was too dark to see anything.

     Without taking his eyes off the jagged hole in the wall, Ryad knelt to set his rifle down on the floor before slowly straightening upright.

     He took a deep breath. Reached in with both hands and gripped the edges at the darkness. Clenched his teeth.

     With a grunt, the man began tugging at the drywall. Chunks of it fell to his boots and kicked up dust.

It was still too dark to see inside the wall, so he continued. Caveira and Nomad were at his side to assist. The trio tore and pulled pieces of the wall away.