Chapter Eighty Three

Shadestar woke in her spot beside the Moonpool, the rays of dawn now starting to peek above the tree line. She took a deep breath before turning to Featherbreeze.

The medicine cat was staring at the waters of the Moonpool, eyes narrowed in concentration. "I wonder why Firestar chose to repeat the prophecy to you?"

"I don't know," Shadestar admitted. "I suppose it was StarClan's way of reminding us that it has not yet been fulfilled, and still needs to be."

Featherbreeze nodded. "I suppose you must be right. Well, we ought to return to RiverClan. Do you want to stop in ThunderClan and WindClan to share the news of your leadership?"

"Yes, we ought to, really," Shadestar meowed.

They walked together in silence, Featherbreeze leading slightly towards the forest Clan's camp.

Ashwhisker was standing guard outside, and at first he was alarmed when the RiverClan cats approached, then calmed when he saw it was only two of them, and one was a medicine cat.

"Is it alright if we speak with Thornstar?" Featherbreeze asked politely.

"Y-yeah, sure. Follow me."

Ashwhisker turned and led them through a thorny tunnel that presumably led into the ThunderClan camp. Shadestar picked her was around the thorns, wrinkling her nose with distaste. What sort of strange cats would want thorns all over a path they walked every day?

Thornstar was sitting outside, speaking with Tawnysky. The camp was alive with activity, just like RiverClan often was. Kits played, apprentices challenged each other and practiced new moves, warriors shared tongues with each other.

"Featherbreeze, Shadepool." Thornstar hailed them. "What brings you here today?"

"Bad news, I'm afraid," Shadestar meowed. "Silverstar is dead."

"I'm sorry to hear it," Thornstar replied, dipping his head with grief. "She was a noble leader, and no doubt she will be sorely missed."

"She will," Shadestar murmured.

"Then you are leader of RiverClan now, Shadestar," the ThunderClan leader went on. "In that case, I wish you luck. May StarClan be with you."

"And with you, Thornstar." Shadestar dipped her head respectfully. "Thank you."

They said their goodbyes to the ThunderClan leader and headed out towards WindClan.

"Thornstar seemed very friendly," Featherbreeze commented.

"He did," Shadestar agreed. "I hope ThunderClan will stay friendly. WindClan, too. Lavenderstar has never caused grief to any Clan. I hope she won't start now."

"I doubt it," Featherbreeze replied. "She became leader very young and in fact she's not a lot older than me, but she's always liked being at peace more than being at war."

The WindClan camp was like the complete opposite to ThunderClan's - it was wide open with dens in shallow scoops in the ground. The cats milled around sharing their morning meal with each other.

It was Quietwing, the medicine cat, who noticed them first. She padded over to greet Featherbreeze. "It wonderful to see you, but what are you doing here?"

"We'd like to speak to Lavenderstar, if that's alright," Featherbreeze meowed.

Quietwing glanced at Shadestar. "Of course. I'll go get her."

The medicine cat vanished into one of the dens for a moment, then reappeared with the WindClan leader in tow.

"Greetings," Lavenderstar meowed. "Quietwing said you had something to speak with me about?"