Chapter Six

Shadepaw felt awkward in Silverstar's den. It looked identical to the other dens, except there was only one nest rather than large groups of them. Silverstar's nest was woven with reeds, bulrushes and damp moss, and shells decorated the border. There were fish bones in the corner.

"Do you know why you're here?" Silverstar asked, tail curled so tightly that Shadepaw wondered how she hadn't snapped it in two.

"Yes, Silverstar." Shadepaw dipped her head. Redpaw echoed her.

Silverstar sighed. "What was that all about? You are Clanmates, you shouldn't be fighting."

"Silverstar, if I may speak first." Shadepaw glanced up at the leader, who nodded. "I don't know why Redpaw attacked me. He and Frogpaw were teasing me when I went to collect prey. First they called me a kit, then they said I couldn't take prey until I hunted. I stood my ground, then Redpaw attacked. I was only defending myself."

"Defending yourself?" Redpaw spluttered. "I'm going to have bruises for moons thanks to you!"

"It was one attack!" Shadepaw argued. "You're not that hurt!"

"Enough!" Silverstar interrupted. "Redpaw, what do you have to say for yourself?"

"Nothing, Silverstar," Redpaw grumbled, flattening his ears and looking down.

Silverstar sighed. "In that case, Redpaw, I have no choice but confine you to camp for one moon. You will do duties for the elders and queens in that time. Shadepaw,"

Shadepaw pricked her ears at the mention of her name.

"You, admittedly, don't seem to have done anything wrong, and it would be cruel to confine you to camp for your first moon as an apprentice. Your punishment will instead last for one quarter of a moon."

"What?!" Redpaw spluttered. "That's hardly fair!"

Silverstar shot him a look that silenced him. "I'm the leader of this Clan. What I say is law. If I wanted to hear the opinion of an inexperienced, brash apprentice, I would have asked!"

"Sorry." Redpaw mumbled to his paws. His eyes were burning with rage, though; Shadepaw could see from her angle.

"S-silverstar," she began hesitantly, "can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead."

"Um... alone." Shadepaw glanced uncomfortably at Redpaw. She didn't want him hearing this question.

Silverstar looked down at Shadepaw, a hint of curiosity flickering behind her gaze. "Well, Redpaw?" She said finally, turning her gaze but not her head to him. "Are you going to give us some privacy?"

"Yes, Silverstar." Redpaw shot Shadepaw a glare as he stalked past, then he vanished out into the camp.

"So, what's this question you want to ask me?" Silverstar asked, sitting back on her haunches.

"Um..." Shadepaw hesitated. Suddenly, she wasn't so sure if it was a good idea to bring this up. She changed tack. "Why is Redpaw's punishment longer than mine?"

Silverstar seemed surprised, then she narrowed her eyes. "That's not the question you really wanted to ask me, is it?"

"Well... no," Shadepaw admitted.

"Shadepaw, you can ask me about anything, I won't punish you. I promise." Silverstar rested her muzzle lightly between Shadepaw's ears, a small reassuring gesture. Shadepaw took heart.

"Last night, I had a dream about a StarClan cat," she began. "She said that she was sent by StarClan to tell me that they're watching over me. I was a bit confused, because StarClan is supposed to watch over every Clan cat. Then she said that I'm not every Clan cat, and something else that sounded really important, like-"

"The shadows of the stars shall carve a path through the darkness. Fire shall light the way, and the moon shall be the beacon to banish darkness forever. This is how it must be for the Clans to prosper in peace," Silverstar whispered wonderingly.

"Yeah, that's exactly what she said." Shadepaw stared in shock at the RiverClan leader. "What does it mean?"

"It means that you are part of something bigger than yourself. Maybe even bigger than me." Silverstar gazed upwards at nothing. Perhaps, Shadepaw thought, she was staring at StarClan.

"But why me?" Shadepaw pressed.

"Who can say?" Silverstar sighed, the trance broken. "StarClan works in mysterious ways."

"I'm only an apprentice, and barely that." Shadepaw looked at her paws.

"You won't be 'only an apprentice' forever," Silverstar reminded her. "One day, you'll be a warrior. Maybe this just means you're a little greater than the others."

"What if I don't want to be a little greater than the others?" Shadepaw challenged.

Silverstar sighed. "You know, something I've learned in my life is that StarClan often don't take into account what you want. It's both a blessing and a curse when you're destined for greatness. You just have to learn to accept it."

"That's stupid," Shadepaw mumbled. "But I wanted to ask about one other thing. The cat that gave me the prophecy... she said her name was Nutriver." Shadepaw glanced at Silverstar. The leader had shock written clearly in her wide eyes and parted jaws.

"You're sure?" Silverstar asked faintly.

"Yeah. I asked Larkfeather who she was, but she wouldn't say anything. I asked the elders, but they just said to ask you." Shadepaw deliberately left out the part about how she'd found out that Silverstar, Fawnreed, her mother and Nutriver were all littermates.

"That is a story for another time," Silverstar said dismissively. "Perhaps I'll tell you one day, but for now, it's late. You should be getting to bed."

"Thank you." Shadepaw dipped her head to the leader.

"You can talk to me about anything," Silverstar purred. "Get some rest, and don't forget that you're still being punished!"

"Yes, Silverstar." Shadepaw swallowed back a purr as she left the den, and stepped out into the camp. Almost immediately, she was met by Shimmerpaw.

"What did Silverstar say? How come you took so long?"

"I just asked her a question, that's all," Shadepaw replied. "Silverstar said we need to get to bed."

"Redpaw says he's confined to camp for a moon!" Shimmerpaw said, eyes wide. "Are you?"

"Silverstar lowered my punishment to a quarter moon. Don't worry, it will be over before you know it," Shadepaw assured her.

"Okay." Shimmerpaw's tail drooped a little, but she still hurried to the apprentice's den with a spring in her step. "Runningpaw and I made a nest for you."

"Thanks," Shadepaw purred, stepping into the den. "I'm exhausted!"

Shadepaw glanced around and saw that Redpaw and Frogpaw were already asleep. Runningpaw's head perked up, and the brown apprentice flicked her ears towards an empty nest, then put her tail to her jaws to signal for them to stay quiet. Shadepaw nodded in thanks and settled down in the mossy nest. Leopardpaw and Lilypaw had returned, and Shadepaw saw them curled up on the other side of the den.

The den was filled with the lulling sounds of sleep, and Shadepaw soon allowed her drowsiness to carry her away.