Chapter Forty-Three

The rest of the exam period went by in a blur. At times, I'd blink and there'd be a question paper in front of me. I'd try to answer the questions as much as I could, but, ultimately, the questions were not meant for me—they were meant for Alessia.

Every time I woke up, I pondered just how far into Alessia's life I would make it—or if I would even go back to Olivia's, or another's, or if I'd just stay. The questions kept me awake at night, and I would wake with my bed and my thoughts disarray.

It was now summer break; I could easily catch up on sleep later on in the day if I wanted to. But if I did that, I left myself vulnerable to Alessia's dad.

Today, though, none of that mattered, and I wouldn't let it matter. My eyes ran over my Prom invite as I brushed a copper eyeshadow across my eyelids. I had to work Alessia's eye makeup a little differently to mine since her eyes were a gleaming green, and mine a deep brown. Dylan would always call them a beautiful brown.

As I applied mascara, I swallowed, hesitant about tonight. Alessia did not have friends. Where would she sit at Prom? Who would she dance with? Her only chances were Lucas and Dylan; Lucas hates her, and Dylan couldn't spare more than a second thought for her if it meant giving up Olivia. The same also, apparently, applied to the journey there, since Dylan was driving Olivia. That left Alessia out in the cold, standing by the edge of the pavement.

That would be a problem that we would have to solve later.

I pulled Alessia's gorgeous violet dress up her legs, slipping my arms through it and fastening it at the back. It looked like a violet sky, lavender clouds hanging at the bottom and bright violet rays stringing across the top. Though, it didn't look nearly as dishevelled as you'd probably imagine from the prior description.

As I straightened Alessia's wild hair to resemble curls that were a little tame and voluminous, I watched Snapchat stories, seeing some girls already posting pictures of their dresses for tonight. Then there was Dylan's story. It was a picture that I remember as if it were taken just seconds ago. It was a close-up of Olivia's face, which was glittering with fresh makeup, though taken from the side. Her curls shielded her face slightly, but not enough that her face was completely invisible.

She was beautiful. That's what Alessia thought. Alessia suddenly felt extremely envious, yet not because she holds Dylan's heart, not this time. Alessia was envious of how Olivia looked, and she could only imagine how gorgeous her dress was.

I remember that dress. It was a maroon coloured gown with gold trimmings, one that cinched in at the waist but left room for a ting dosage of cleavage. It was elegant and classy, but teasing and flirty. It was everything I had wanted back then. But now it was just a dream.

I threw Alessia's phone across the room, watching it land smoothly on her bed. I took one last glance at Alessia before continuing to work on her hair. When every strand of hair was perfectly composed, I set the straighteners down and turned them off. I stared into the mirror.

This had once been something that had scared me. When I looked into the mirror, I did not see Olivia Clark, a friendly, popular, and pretty girl, but Alessia Trent, an empty, lonely and ugly girl. But none of that was true. Those were all beliefs concocted by the girl that I share this body with, this life with. Alessia Trent.

Olivia Clark was not always friendly, popular and pretty in everyone's opinion, and Alessia Trent was not always empty, lonely or ugly. Or perhaps not at all. But it's what Alessia thought, and it's what she's thought for a long time now.