Chapter Six

When Alessia's alarm blared the next morning, I was already up. I had crept downstairs at 6 am to fit breakfast into the day, though it was probably the scariest thing I'd ever done.

Now upstairs sipping a coffee, I was organising Alessia's bag, thinking about the day ahead. I would hand in all of Alessia's overdue homework, complete all her classwork, and fix this mess.

Finished with my coffee, I zipped the bag up, leaving it in the corner of Alessia's room before I took a deep breath, tip-toeing out of the room.

I silently made my way downstairs and into the kitchen, where I cleaned my mug quickly, before putting it back where I found it. Checking my watch, I saw that I had a minute before I hate to wake Alessia's dad up. I was standing over him for maybe thirty seconds and, when it was finally time, I shook him awake, letting him check the time and grunt. Then, I quickly disappeared back upstairs before he could use me as a punching bag again.

This is going to be a good day for Alessia. I've got it sorted.

Returning to Alessia's room, I got dressed into her school uniform, before starting on my usual makeup and hair. Alessia didn't seem to have much of a routine with her appearance when we were in school, but I did.

Since Alessia's hair was so curly, there were limited styles I could work it into, but I could pull it into some sort of half up, half down hairstyle. When it was up, I found a strand of ribbon and tied it around the hairband—it was my signature look.

I kept my makeup similar to my usual, though I added a few other bits since I had time to spare.

Finished, I took a deep breath and rose from her vanity chair. I tied her shoelaces, pulled on her blazer and bag, before leaving her room with anticipation.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I heard Alessia's dad start to yell, but I took Alessia's mental advice and ignored him. I ran out of the front door, checking the time as I shut and locked the door behind me.

Seeing that I had just short of fifteen minutes until school started, I started for the corner shop, walking with a spring in my step.

I pushed the door open, the bell announcing my presence. "Hi, Nells!" I called, starting for the back of the shop once more, pulling a bottle of water out from the fridge before walking down a few aisles and finding a sandwich and a snack.

I only had to wait in line for a few minutes before I reached the till, placing my items down as I beamed up at Nells.

She smiled in response, scanning the items, "You look happy, Lessie," she acknowledged, "does this have anything to do with that new job you had to complete yesterday?" She asked as I was rifling through my blazer for money.

I frowned, pausing, "...Job?" I asked, pulling out a five-pound note and handing it to her.

She smiled, "Don't be so modest, Lessie, you told me yourself that there's always business to handle on Thursdays. It's good, though, becoming independent; maybe one day you can get out of this place." She said, suddenly becoming grave.

I opened my bag, shoving my items in. "Right," I said, "maybe."

She smiled, handing me my change and receipt. I thanked her before heading for the door.