Chapter Twenty-Six

WELCOME TO THE HALFWAY POINT OF THIS BOOK

it's only down from here

🕊

When Alessia got home, she sat up in her bed for what felt like hours, just staring out into the distance. What she had done today let out most of her anger, and all that was left now was regret and fear of what would happen if she was found out.

After gulping, she shot up and out of her bed, tipping out the contents of her school bag and putting them in another so that she wouldn't go to school tomorrow with flashing red evidence on her back.

When she was packing her new bag, though, she found what looked like a box of medication. When she turned it over and read it, she realised what it was.

An emergency contraceptive.

She stared at it, wide-eyed, wondering if Olivia really had had sex. Alessia refused to assume that this was with Dylan, though.

That contraceptive wasn't actually mine.
It was Kiara's; I had bought it for her so that she wouldn't have to get it herself, and simply passed her the pill in a public toilet. I was supposed to throw it out after, but I guess I never did.

Alessia stared at it, eyes wide as the hand that was holding it shook. Suddenly, she thought of a million things she could do with this information—tell Dylan, spread the rumours around school, send rumours around that it was Kiara's, forcing me and Kiara into an argument in which I lost all my friends. She wanted revenge—she wanted me to pay.

I watched, contemplating taking back control and just throwing the packet away. But I didn't, I sat back and watched her decide to do all three at once.

She'd start by pulling a younger year to the side—they didn't necessarily know of her unpopularity, and so they'd listen to her and spread the rumour. Soon, it would get to the Year Elevens and everyone would know that Olivia is the worst friend in the entire earth, and Kiara is as much of a working girl as she makes out to be.

It was a malevolent plan, one that only someone with pure hatred for me could concoct. It scared me that Alessia could really hate me that much, and right under my nose too.

Alessia went to sleep blissfully that night, dreaming of how her plan would work out.

She woke up much the same, and got ready with a spring in her step, checking her pockets for the packet before leaving her house.

What Alessia would never know is that, in the bin outside Nell's shop, is where I threw the empty packet after taking control for only a brief moment. She no longer had evidence.