Chapter Eleven

Trigger warning

When I woke up the next morning and my ceiling wasn't covered in stars and planets, like my ceiling back home, I started to cry. In fact, I sobbed.

I tried two days as Alessia Trent, and I didn't like them. I don't know why I've suddenly switched bodies, or how. But it isn't funny anymore.

I'm still Alessia Trent.

I screamed into my pillow, squeezing my eyes shut so tightly that I thought they'd burst. I clenched my fists, burying myself so far into my pillow that I hoped I'd fall back into my own bed.

But when I turned back over, unclenched my fists and opened my eyes, that same shite ceiling was there. I sat up in the bed, taking deep breaths, trying to relax before I passed out.

I whipped the covers off and stumbled over to Alessia's vanity, reaching over it and opening her window before slumping down on her vanity chair. I turned around on it, facing the mirror. I stared at my reflection, my heart aching. I had never wanted to feel or to look like myself, like Olivia Clark, more than at this moment.

This day just clarified it all. The first day was a shock, the second a trial-run, the third was always a certainty. Three times is always a curse. I'm stuck, and this day is proof.

I sighed, turning away from the mirror so that I wouldn't have to face the fact that I was Alessia Trent for much longer.

Since I had spent so much time sobbing, I had to sprint down the stairs to make it in time to wake Alessia's dad up. I shook him awake, watching him roll over, grunting.

He threw his arm all across the place, knocking over beer cans and vodka bottles. I had no idea how someone could live like this.

Alessia's dad picked up his phone, which I'm guessing he had been looking for the entire time. When he saw it, he roared, shoving the screen in my face.

"What do you call this?" He yelled at me.

I shrugged, though my heart was beating faster than it ever had done before. "Your phone..?" I answered, watching him raise from the sofa slowly. Then, suddenly, he punched me right in the chest. I fell to the floor, feeling as though my ribs had collapsed.

"Not only did you wake me up late, but you also had the decency to get cocky with me!" He screamed, kicking my body as it lay limp on the ground. I tried to cradle my head in my arms to protect it, but it only meant the rest of my body was at risk.

He stopped suddenly, and I felt him get dangerously close to my body. "I have some friends coming over after dinner tomorrow, and if you're not gone, I'll sell you to them." With that, he kicked me once more in my stomach before he stomped away.

I didn't move for quite a while. I didn't know if I could, but I was also too frightened to. When I finally shifted, even just by a fraction, I felt my entire body ache. I rose to my feet with my fists clenched and the insides of my cheeks between my teeth.

I barely made it up the stairs before I crumpled to the floor in Alessia's room. I had never felt a pain like this before. It felt like every bone in my body had been broken, like every breath left in my lungs had been taken, and like every beat of my heart no longer exists.