𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚔 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜

✩ Herman Carter "The Doctor" ✘ Reader ✩

❝Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows.❞

EDITED ON 4/30/22

The CIA has been tracking you ever since your recent discoveries in how mental health contributes to brain function. You declined when they reached out to you and offered a transfer to work under them at Léry's. It wasn't until they cornered you with blackmail and allegations that you finally accepted the invitation. You were instated to go to work as soon as possible, the pay was never mentioned, and neither was the work.

But, you arrived at the institution the next day and parked on the crack-filled payment. The air was cool against your skin as you exited your car and your feet clicked on the concrete as you moved through the chilling afternoon. The building seemed to tower over you with watchful eyes, and when you entered through the rusted steel doors, a metallic tang hit your nose. You breathed it in before aimlessly walking down one of the many halls. The lights flickered as you shuffled. Then, a door swung open in front of you, and a man wearing bleach white stood at the entrance. He glanced up and down the hallway, and as he laid eyes on you, he waved you over with callused hands. You obliged the request, but your nose scrunched because the closer you got, the more the stench of iron became potent. The man placed his hand on your back and pushed you into the room. You stumbled forward, tripping over your feet as you attempted to regain balance.

An unwarranted gasp fell from your lips as your gaze lasered in onto the dead body, or what you presumed to be, on the metal table. Parts of their skin had been pulled back to expose muscle. Wires were strewn around the carcass, which weaved to-and-fro arteries. Papers were everywhere. It was a complete mess full of chaos. You bent down and picked one of the documents up. Messy cursive had filled the page, and you rolled your lip between your teeth as you squinted to read, "Mind control?"

Your words came out barely a whisper as the topic piqued your interest. You looked up towards the man who was now in front of you. The madness seemed to twinkle in his eyes as he acknowledged you with a nod. He beamed with confidence that you realized was only his version of twisted narcissism.

"They have me grill these poor excuses of humans for information, and once I get it, the higher-ups don't give a damn for what happens to them next." He laughed as he rounded the metal table. An electric spark sent tremors into the lifeless individual in front of you. "I might as well have fun with these incompetent mutts."

A slight smile had found its way onto your face. The man's words were inspiring to you. You had understood his goals more than the people who had hired you, and you knew what it was like being unable to gather the right resources to get results. It had felt as if you had met your double. He was like you but with less control.

Suddenly, months had passed since your first day at the institution. The maze-like building had felt more like home than home ever did. You had a taste of Herman's insanity, and you had become his right hand ever since then. The two of you were a duo that made anyone and everyone shake in your presence.

You had helped Herman with numerous activities, each more revolting than the lass. But that was when things became tricky. The higherups had gotten wind of what was happening by Herman's hand, and you knew whatever was going to happen wouldn't be good for either of you. So, you had to warn him, which would be hard with how stubborn he was. But, as time went by, you noticed more and more scientists and prisoners being removed from the premises, and you knew that infiltration would come soon.

After countless hours of fighting, you convinced Herman to pack up and leave. You took what you needed, carrying light and escaping during the night. You and Herman stayed away from Léry's for what seemed like years. At the same time, you were placed on a watchlist, and you had to remain hidden until your duo had an opportunity to open up shop again, but thankfully that time came soon. After months of no update, word came from the wind that the CIA shut down the institution, and the building you once called home became abandoned.

Herman wanted to get back as soon as possible, and you felt the same, but your heart broke when you finally revisited the institution. The once maintained and the bright building was now dilapidated. You cringed as you retraced your steps on your first day. However, Herman was ecstatic when he discovered that most of his things lay untouched. Both of you moved back into your home, resuming your operations on curious adventurers, and it was beautiful a spark of madness that ensued.