Chapter 17

The next morning, Liberty woke up abruptly. Gasping for air and clenching the sheets. She had been waking up all night like that. Brayden had stayed all night after they fell asleep right after Nana had brought Liberty some ice. After the first few times Liberty woke up, Brayden had decided to stay.

"Brayden, oh my God." Liberty reached for his hands. "Thank you for being here, I must seem really clingy but it's just..." Brayden climbed onto her bed from where he had been sleeping in her desk chair next to her bed. "I understand. I'm here for you no matter what. I love you." Brayden wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tight. "This has all been so crazy. From our "friend" dates, and Samantha's craziness and now Emmett. How has all of this happened in 3 months? What day is it even?" Liberty asked, picking at her nails. Brayden looked at her with sad eyes. He knew how much trouble she had been through. "It's August 18."

Liberty kissed him, and wrapped her arms around Brayden's shoulders. Brayden pulled away and looked at her. "What was that for?"

"For this summer being the best thing that's ever happened. All of this couldn't have happened to me in 5 years but it happened in less than 3 months. Including someone saying they love me. Do you actually love me?"

"Of course I do. I mean I couldn't stop it from happening, and I knew I was lucky to even meet someone like you." Liberty blushed "Yes,Liberty, I love you."

-2 Months Later-

"How's school been?" Brayden wiped down the bar as Liberty sat on the bar stool. "It's been good, I've already done all my projects, and at least my class's are much later." Brayden slid a Sherly Temple across the counter. "How's Emmett doing?"

"They won't tell me anything." Liberty said, sipping her soft drink. "But it doesn't really matter. I'm just glad he's out of my life. What's Samantha doing now? I haven't seen her since Emmett arrived."

"S-she hasn't done anything I know of. I mean we're still friends on Facebook and I still follow her on Instagram. And two months without a sight of Samantha is really strange for me. But she's seeing someone new now."

"Do you miss her?" Brayden stopped wiping the counter and looked up at Liberty. "Why would I miss her?"

"It's just that, you guys didn't even get to experience a real thing. Right? I ruined it." She pulled out her homework. "Liberty, don't say that. It was meant to be like that. She was ridiculous and all of that was ridiculous. And she cheated on me way before you got here."

"I never knew that..." Liberty looked at him with awe.

"I mean, she didn't know I knew but whatever it's no big deal. But, my shift's over now, let's go for a walk now." Liberty put her books back in her backpack, feeling bad that she didn't even start it.

Instead of going to the park like they usually did, Brayden and Liberty went across the street to the beach just as the sun was setting. "This is so pretty!" Liberty squealed as they walked down the beach. The sky was a mix of orange, purple, and navy blue. Without Liberty's notice, Brayden got down, and held out a box.

"Liberty Hanford," she looked at him, completely surprised. "Will you marry me?" Brayden opened the box to a diamond and sapphire ring. The sapphires sat on either side of the circle cut diamond. "Oh my God, Brayden, of course." She pulled Brayden up and kissed him, placing her hands on his face. "I can't believe you did that. Where did you get that ring? And wasn't it expensive?"

"I got it yesterday, and I remembered that diamond was your birthstone, and the sapphire is to match your eyes. It was expensive and my salary totally didn't even cover half of it, but I had most of my funding from my mom." Brayden smiled as he slipped the ring onto her finger. "How did you know that was my birthstone? My birthday's in April!"

"I asked your grandmother." Brayden smirked and held her hand, looking at the ring shine in the light. "That's really amazing, Brayden. I just can't believe this." Liberty hugged Brayden and kissed him. This was something so unexpected. They both smiled and made their way back to the Grill, picking up Liberty's things on the way.

"Is Zoe going to work tonight?" Liberty asked, knowing she would call up her best friend from college that night. As soon as she said that, the blonde she had become such good friends with came around the corner. "Oh my God! Liberty!" Zoe ran over and hugged Liberty tightly. "How's school? How's Brayden?"

"That's what I want to tell you about!" Liberty lifted her left hand and showed Zoe the beautiful ring.

"Liberty, you're so lucky. Don't leave Brayden at all, he's just perfect for you." They hugged again and Brayden and Liberty headed out to her car and drove off to Liberty's house to call her mother.

As they headed in, Liberty stopped Brayden right in the foyer and kissed him. "I love you so much, Brayden."

"I love you too."