Chapter 4

Brayden waited till Steven was out of ear shot so he could bombard Liberty. “Liberty!”

“What?” Liberty sat back down and started to chew on the few last pieces from the appetizers. 

“You just met the guy and you’re going out with him tonight?” 

“Yes! It’s not going to be a date!--

“--While you’re out already with people!”

 “--And, I’m the single one between us so why do you care?”

 “ You know what? Fine, just if we’re going to be friends and we’re hanging out you aren’t picking up guys. Got it?” 

“Sure, whatever you want.” Liberty said getting her stuff together. 

“Have fun with Stefan--”

“Steven.”

“Steven, yeah and I’ll see you at work. Call me if anything happens.” 

“Bye,”

“Hey, you ready?”

“Um, yeah I’m sorry you had to deal with that. He’s kinda annoyed because we were out together in the first place.”

“Oh, we don’t have to go! You can stay here,”

“No, it’s fine. He’s probably already gone anyway.” She smiled and knew tonight was about to be perfect. 

“Well, let’s get going.” Steven pulled out of the parking lot and headed north. A second car pulled out and followed.

TheClub was the name. Pink and purple lights flashing everywhere. The music was loud, just loud enough that Liberty couldn’t hear a single thought in her head. “You want a drink?”

“No, I’m fine I can’t. I’m 19.”

“Ooh, that’s good to know. I don’t want the police on me for underage drinking. How about we dance, you don’t need an age restriction for that do you?” Steven took her hand and pulled her out to the middle of the pulsing lights and the group of people moving to the beat of the music.

His olive eyes swept the room for her.  It was hard to see in the purple and pink lights. He looked for any sign of her face, her hair. Samantha’s bronze hand grazed Brayden’s arm. “Since we’re here..Do you wanna dance Brayden?” No answer. “Brayden?”

“Huh? Yeah, let’s go.” Brayden had found Liberty anyways. He pulled Samantha through the large group of moving people, trying to get to Liberty. Steven was dancing with her, holding her waist. Looking into her eyes. His head moved closer to hers and soon they were kissing. Brayden stopped in his tracks, turned to Samantha and and took her hand again and turned around and left. He didn’t even hear Samantha asking him why they were leaving even when they were outside of the building where he could have heard clearly.