Chapter 1

The bus slowed to just a rumble as it pulled up to the second stop of the day. "Stop two, North Street." Liberty Hanford reached for her blue and gold Chanel bag and smoothed the end of her sundress. As the doors opened she looked back and took a deep breath and walked off to join the throng of pushing people who just exited the bus. The small town of North Beach was a beautiful place. It was hot but not humid, the flowers that lined the sidewalks were always well taken care of. The boys, oh the boys! Not one boy Liberty met wasn't sweet, gorgeous but never there the next summer she visited her grandparents. Liberty had always envied the place, how come her town Charleston couldn't be as beautiful as this? No wonder her grandparents loved it here. And this summer before her Sophomore year of college she was going to take this opportunity.

"Liberty hanford, welcome to your summer of paradise. Population, you." She whispered to herself and smiled. A whole summer just for her! Excitement burst through her and she broke into a laugh. Although this summer was hers she still needed some extra cash, and stores and restaurants always needed help during the summer. But first window shopping.

Liberty walked down the street that was store after store after store of amazing styles and attire. And every boy's eye was on her. She stopped at a outdoor grill restaurant to pet someone's dog. A young man taking orders watched her. "Can you get his order? Brayden! Are you listening to me?" his boss waved his hand in his face. Brayden walked briskly over to her as to not let her get away. "His names lucky." Liberty looked up, tucking a piece of dark hair behind her ear. The boy's eyes were an olive green, his loose dark brown hair peeking from under a beanie. Liberty was surprised, she had never seen anyone as handsome as him.

"That's a great name!"

"Yeah, I suppose so he doesn't really bring me luck anyway."

"Hm, dogs are always something aren't they? Oh, do you work here?"

"If you're looking for work here..We're full...sorry." Liberty looks around.

"Yeah...with only two waiters and probably one cook? In the middle of the day when you sure have a lot more customers." Liberty says gesturing to the almost empty tables and chairs.

"Well, even if we don't need help with looks like your's I don't even care if you want a beer from the back!"

"Oh really? Well I wouldn't mind any!"

"Alright, but first I can't just give it to a total stranger. What's your name?"

"Wait...I thought you said it wouldn't matter with my looks."

"Oh, right. You've passed the test, you're smart and funny. I'm Brayden." He puts his hand out to shake.

"Ah, Brayden...I didn't even say anything even remotely as 'quick-witted' intelligence."

"Oh, burn...You've got me good. Now I'm not going to be able to sleep at night since I don't know your name." "Fine, Brayden." Liberty rolls her eyes. "Liberty. It's Liberty."

"I'll introduce you." He flashed a smile and leads Liberty over to his red faced boss. "Mr. Bill Mathers I would like to introduce you to your new employee, Liberty-"

"Hanford..." Liberty interrupted.

"Hanford, yeah." Brayden continued.

"Come on, Bill!"

"Mr. Mathers to you son."

"Fine, Mr. Mathers. We've only got three waiters working this summer! The rest are on vacation. And summer issupposed to be the most customers we'll ever get! I know you need the money and I need it too."

"Yeah whatever, I suppose. Since today isn't even our finest moment...at least two tables are taken out of the ten we have. And I don't care if she hasn't done this before I'll need all the help I can get." Liberty smiled.

"Liberty, you start tomorrow. Brayden will show you around, and the uniform..Brayden can tell you about that. I'm enjoyed to have you on the job."

"Oh my god! Thank you so much, Brayden." Liberty said as Brayden walked her back to the gate. "I'll see you tomorrow." She smiled and waved.

"Yeah, see ya." He bit his lip, Liberty blushed and walked up the street, into the nearby neighborhood. Under the streetlights.