Chapter Twenty Three - Tested

Albus' announcement was confirmed the next morning with the arrival of the morning post. Not only did Lyra receive a letter but she found herself the topic on the front page of the The Daily Prophet once more.

LYRA LESTRANGE TO BE YOUNGEST ORDER OF MERLIN RECIPIENT IN HISTORY

Written By Rita Skeeter

The name Lyra Lestrange dominated headlines last month as she produced a cure to Psyrot, a disease that had been plaguing the Wizarding community for several months. As a result of her contributions to the Healing Arts, Lyra Lestrange finds herself once again thrust into the spotlight as she becomes the youngest ever witch to receive an Order of Merlin.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Lyra Lestrange is worthy of this award," says Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, "Her discovery has saved numerous lives and she deserves to be recognised for her achievements. She is an inspiration to us all, I hope she will continue her work as a healer and that this award will inspire her, along with other witches and wizards of talent, to push boundaries and enlighten our community."

Despite the support of our Minister, there are still some doubt among the public as to whether Lyra should be a recipient of this prestigious award.

"It's an absolute disgrace that Lyra is being awarded an OM," says a disgruntled former colleague and classmate of Lestrange, "Given her history, I don't believe she deserves one. She almost killed one of our classmates."

Should we be giving an almost killer and Death Eater sympathiser an award reserved for outstanding citizens?

"I don't know why I subscribe to this bloody paper," Minerva said, throwing her copy onto the table with a large thud. "It's all codswallop, that Skeeter woman, I have half a mind- No, I tell you, I am writing her a letter."

Lyra laughed, "It's fine, Minerva."

"It's not fine."

"It's not like it's a lie," Lyra shrugged, "I did do those things they mentioned in the last article, you know it, half the students know it."

"But you're not that person anymore," Minerva argued, "You saved people and that bloody well deserves to be recognised, Lyra."

"People know," she shrugged, "That's enough. They'll believe what they want to and that's fine by me."

The Transfiguration Professor paused for a moment, slightly perplexed by the maturity her ex-student was showing. She pursed her lips before insisting, "Well, if anyone else gives you grief, you send them straight to me."

With a laugh and a nod Lyra left the breakfast table and headed off to her classes. The day progressed rather quickly and with ease, Lyra utilising her free periods to mark assignments and plan her lessons. She found that her students were still in rather high spirits, none seeming to be affected by the reminder that their Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher may be a Death Eater. She did find that a few of them took the time to congratulate her on her nomination for the Order of Merlin. Once her classes were finished, Lyra found herself back in the company of Severus within his office.

"Now don't think that just because it was your birthday yesterday and you're an Order of Merlin nominee that I'll go easy on you," Severus warned. His wand was drawn and he had adopted an aggressive dueling stance.

Lyra acted cool, a smirk formed across her lips, "I would expect you to go harder on me, if anything."

"Draw your wand," he urged.

Lyra's eyes narrowed, her smirk gone. "Why?"

"Today we practice with the Cruciatus Curse," he replied, a grim expression firm on his face.