Chapter 15

EMERSON FINDLAY

I woke up with a start. Last night was one of those rare nights when I got complete sleep. The things I could give for making every night like that.

I was in my room. Not on the balcony. Everything felt normal until I looked around to find a sticky note on a box on the dressing table. I got up and went to the table.

Good morning sunshine. Now hurry up and go to the washroom. And, I also hope you like this little souvenir.

It said. I opened the blue box to find a charm bracelet, sans charms. I frowned but, there was already a smile creeping up on my face. I went straight to the washroom. There was another sticky note on the mirror with a small box; this one was red.

Quickly bathe and meet me in the living room. Don't come out without that. Hurry. I'm waiting.

I opened the second box to find a charm of a masquerade mask. It was beautiful. I hung it on the bracelet and set them in the box as I hurried to brush my teeth, do my business and shower. I quickly did all of this in a record time of ten minutes.

I hurried to open my closet door to find another sticky note there with another small box.

I hope you don't take much time in dressing up because my patience may have become slim by now. And here's another one.

I opened the box to find a charm of a couple, dancing. I attached it to the charm bracelet too and started grabbing a set of clothes.

As I got out, I pulled on a simple t-shirt which was Claire's hand-me-down and a pair of jeans. I looked just fine and my hair was still made into a bun which sat at the top of my head.

I practically speed walked to the hall to find Adrian turned around, looking at the skyline showcasing a beautiful sunrise outside the french windows.

I beheld and captured the sight in my eyes and wanted to keep it forever. It made me contemplate which element of the picture was more enchanting; the crimson-orange colour of the sky and the sun peaking from behind the tall buildings, or the man wearing a white shirt and black jeans standing in front of them with hair that was slightly wet and begged my fingers to be entwined in them forever.

Before I could decide, he turned around with a smile on his face. He started taking small steps in my direction but, stopped near the couch and picked up two more boxes lying there. As soon as he reached me before I knew what was happening, he got down to one knee.

My heart started racing as if it had to race right out of my chest. He took my hand into his and captured me into his spell once again with his midnight blue eyes staring right through me. What the hell was he doing?

"I cannot even say how happy I am to have you back in my life after three long torturous years. Those years taught me how to value each precious moment you spend with your precious person. So, I want to make more beautiful memories. Will you be my date for the ball tonight?"

He asked the question while attaching the last charm to the bracelet on my wrist which was of a car. A car someone would surely love to drive to a ball. He was there on one knee after asking me a question for five minutes. It took me that long to break out of my trance.

I nodded. And then slowly a squeaky yes came out of my mouth. He stood up and hugged me tightly as his arms slid around my waist and my hands did the same on their own accord.

I was happy. To say the least. He truly cared for me. And though I knew it was temporary, I willed myself to enjoy it till it lasted.

He released me as he handed me the bigger box. "I bought this dress for you. Will you try it on so we can see if you like it or not?"

I nodded and went to my room and put it on. It was beautiful, to say the least. It was a wine-coloured floor-length dress with a v-neckline but not plunging. Everything was fine until I turned around and saw the back. Its back was going down to my waist. It was showing the stretch marks at my sides and the big scar that ran across the lower half of my back.

I didn't even remember how I got it but, I had this ever since I had seen my back properly for the first time. I went near the door but, without opening it, I called out his name. He came there not even a minute later.

"Don't get me wrong, this dress is beautiful and I appreciate your efforts but, I don't think I would be able to wear it tonight," I said.

I could imagine a small frown forming between his brows.

"Why? What's wrong? Don't you like the colour? Or the design? I could get it changed or altered. Just let me see what the problem is." He said.

I shook my head frantically. I could not let him see me like this. It was just so embarrassing and weird. My past and body weren't the things I was proud of.

"It's okay. I will just slip out of the dress and hand it back to you. I have some dresses with me. I will wear one of them to the party tonight."

I moved away from the door to get the dress off but before I could even try, the knob twisted and Adrian barged in. I looked at him, horrified, through the mirror as I saw his eyes raking up and down my back. I could see an inexpressible expression on his face.

He slowly walked towards me and I stood there, as stunned as a statue as his finger ran across the scar. Even if it was just a finger, it made me feel hot. Warmth spread through my back from where he touched.

Then, his finger slowly ran across the stretch marks I had acquired from doing too much lifting while doing work. No one knew about them. I didn't want anyone to. But, Adrian just had to be himself and barge into everything in my life.

I did not know what to do as he got down to his knees and kissed each and every mark on my back. Then, at last, he came to the scar and kissed along its entirety. I shivered but, I was sure I wasn't feeling cold.

"Who did this to you?" Was his raspy question which was laced with underlying anger as he held me in my place with his hands on my sides.

"I don't know," I whispered as I shook my head. "It's been here ever since I was a kid." I could hear him taking a deep breath.

I continued, "I know it does not look good on me. So, I will just change. You can take someone else with you to the party. It's okay. I don't even feel like going anyways."

My rambling was brought to an end as he abruptly stood up and turned me around to face him. He wiped the tears I did not even know had leaked from my eyes and rolled down my cheeks.

"You are coming to the party with me. That is for sure. And, I don't even think the marks are even a problem. They show how hardworking you are. But, if you don't want to, I'll call my designer to come with a bunch of dresses for you." He assured.

I was touched. I said a small okay and he walked out of the room so that I could change. As the door shut behind him, the events of the entire morning flashed into my head and left me with a fuzzy confusing feeling.