Chapter 22

"So no bowling?" Veronica asked as they walked towards the mall cafeteria.

"You guys can go bowling." Kira shrugged.

"I can take your place." Zoe grinned, her arms folded over the back of her head as she walked.

"If you'd like. You won't put it through the wall."

"I'm sure you wouldn't either." Alison rolled her eyes.

"I'd rather not risk it." Kira admitted.

"Milkshakes first." The Shade stated.

"Of course."

The four sat at one of the booths, with Alison and Veronica both eating burgers while Kira and Zoe both had their milkshakes.

They talked for a bit before Jack and Drake slid into the booth with them. "Sorry we're crashing Ladies Night." Drake smiled. "But Jack really wanted to come."

"Don't throw this on me." Jack scoffed. "We both wanted to come."

"Afterwards Alison, I'm going to have to kidnap Kira so she can talk to my parents. You're welcome to come with us." Veronica explained.

"I'll go." Alison answered with a slight nod, before glaring as Kira snuck a fry. "You said you weren't hungry."

"I don't get hungry. But these don't exist in Exodious." Kira noted, before sticking the fry in her mouth. "I was curious."

"Well? What do you think?'

"Greasy." Kira confessed before seeming to wash it down with her milkshake.

"That they are." Veronica smiled. "I guess it's an acquired taste. Maybe people from Exodious don't enjoy foods like this."

"The burger is okay." Kira explained. "But yes. Some of the foods here are rather disgusting."

Veronica went to say something but her phone vibrated in her pocket. She fished it out of her pocket before answering it. "Hey mom, what's up?... Yeah, of course... We're in the cafeteria... Do you want some food? I'll save you half my burger."

"Is her mother here?" Kira questioned, looking to Alison for an answer.

"She might have been doing something for the Guild." Alison shrugged.

"So we might be meeting her early?" Kira raised an eyebrow.

"You and Zoe will be." Jack noted. "We've already met her."

Kira glared at him, while Zoe finished her milkshake with an obnoxious slurping sound at the end of her straw. The shade then looked up at Kira then her milkshake.

"No." Kira growled.

"Well then I'll just go back in your body." Zoe shrugged.

"No you're not." Alison rolled her eyes. "We're in the middle of a populated area, and it's bad enough last time people tried to kill us. Don't cause a scene Zoe."

"Yes mom." Zoe groaned.

"Speaking of moms." Jack noted, pointing to a woman with a owl on her shoulder. The woman made her way over and smiled gently at everyone.

"Good to see you all again." The woman smiled.

"Hey Katrina." Alison smiled. "And Peepers."

The owl ruffled his feathers in response.

"So how are you all doing?" Katrina questioned, pulling a chair over and stealing Veronica's tray and the rest of her burger without asking, though she didn't seem to care.