thirty five | never

GAIL FIGURES OUT THE ONLY WAY IS TO RETURN

Santi seems keen on staying with her when they have breakfast in silence, in no rush to leave nor does he mention about his work. The sound of forks and knives fills in the crooks of their silence, and she can't help but replay his words in her mind: I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

Ever since this started, she's never been able to resist him, and this is her biggest weakness. Last night was no exception as she let him embrace her but what she didn't expect was for him to retreat and murmur those words. There, Gail saw a changed man, and that was promising.

"When is the next appointment?" He asks, pulling her away from her thoughts.

Her eyebrows knit in confusion, then straightens back, realizing he's asking her about their baby. Oh. She clears her throat before she answers. "Next Thursday in the afternoon."

"I'll come with you." There is no question mark in his statement.

Gail raises her gaze to look at him and dares to watch him as he eats in full concentration, totally unaware of her watching him. Then, he suddenly tilts his chin and meets her gaze. Caught, she must be ashamed but there is no trace of that in her gaze. She's curious, intrigued and she wants to know to what extent he can go with this. This side of him—a father—is fresh, and as hard as it is to admit, it's admirable. It's the opposite from what Madison made her believe.

Santiago wants to be a part of this, and it's written all over his act.

"Don't you go to work?"

"When we return, I will."

Pressing the handkerchief against her mouth to wipe, she lets out a nervous laugh. "I'm getting by, Santiago. Really."

"We've already talked about this," he replies firmly. "And I'm staying." He smiles when she heaves a sigh and stands up to take the dishes to the kitchen. "What do you want to do today?"

"Do you hear anything I say?"

"How about walking in the woods?" He suggests enthusiastically, ignoring her completely. Then, he turns the water on and rinses the dishes before placing them into the dishwasher.