one | origination

GAIL WESTBROOK CAN BE ANYONE.

Sometimes, she is a high school girl that struggles with life; a girlfriend that has been dumped, a woman with perfect hair because of her shampoo and most of the time, she's just an actress. It's been who she is since she was five. Her mother introduced her to an agency and they loved her instantly. It has been no surprise—Gail's appearance is her best feature. Or at least that's what makes her going in this business.

As the producer goes on about the new project they want Gail to be part of, she thinks of the script she's read a few hours ago. Gail can be anyone, yes, but she can't be a submissive stupid girl who gets abused by a man and enjoys it. She can't promote abuse like that—as if abuse brings more passion to the relationship. She's been thinking about this ever since she read the script. She isn't a picky person, generally, but she's sensitive. Especially about women.

She glances at her mother, who listens to the guy wholeheartedly, because of the amount of money they offer. That's the reason why she considers the offer more than once—the money. Things have been going off lately; she doesn't receive any offers other than some advertisement deals, but she doesn't want to go back to filming with this movie. This movie is a disaster in one word.

While she's lost in thought, her mother nudges her under the table and forces her to focus back on the boring conversation they have with the producer. "What do you say, Gail?" She asks and Gail immediately figures that the question is rhetorical. "I think the project sounds promising and—"

"Mr. Bach, have you read the script?" The man parts his mouth but she's known too many people to know that anything out of his mouth won't be an answer to her question. "I have. It's ridiculous and you clearly promote abusive relationships."

"I think you take it too seriously, Ms. Westbrook. The story is a bad boy story, what the teenagers love these days. I guess you're a little clueless about contemporary books." He doesn't look surprised by her comment, which gives off that he has heard this before. She can't believe he actually supports the idea and urges her to be part of this.