Chapter 1

"Zhao Yunlan! Report to the superintendent's office. What did you do again - no, never mind, don't tell me. I don't want to know," his chief handed Yunlan a slip of paper and waved him off.

"Nothing, I promise!" Zhao Yunlan laughed. "Not that I can remember, anyway."

Zhao Yunlan was used being called in and scolded by the superintendent. Intimidating witnesses who came from shady backgrounds, excess force when subduing violent suspects, talking back and sometimes taking food from higher ups, the list was long. His "an eye for an eye" attitude did not sit well with the superiors, especially since that was his answer to everything.

He knocked on the door of the superintendent's office and walked in. One thing he had looked forward to after he "grew up" was no more visits to the principal's office; he was still doing the same thing as an adult.

"Okay, boss. So who have I ticked off this time? Was it that rich lady who was slapping around the salesclerk at the department store? I tried to drag her out as discreetly as I could, but she has a loud voice. My ears are still ringing." He showed no sign of remorse and appeared to be enjoying himself.

"Hmm? I haven't heard about that one, yet, but I'm sure I will soon." The superintendent stood and motioned Zhao Yunlan to sit at the table while he sat across from him. "Actually that's not the reason why I called you in."

The superintendent took out a file and handed it to Zhao Yunlan.

"You know the 'Rich and Famous Prison,' right?"

"Yeah. I heard a couple inmates just died there.  Serves them right." Zhao Yunlan could not keep the contempt out of his voice. The prison was well-known for many of its high-profile inmates, meaning the rich and powerful, hence its nickname. No matter how bad the crime, these crooks would serve some time and then be discharged on "good behavior." He snorted at the irony. If they could behave well, they would not have been there in the first place.

"While many of us share your sentiments, these people died while in the country's custody, so to speak, so the higher ups want us to look in to it."

"O-kay, so get me a warrant and I'll go interview some people."

"It's not that simple. It's got to be an inside job, so we know no one is going to talk to us. Of course the warden is pulling hairs, but even he cannot grant interviews with the inmates because of their status." The superintendent leaned forward. "We need someone to be incarcerated there and investigate undercover. Your name came up."

"Why? Because of my superior investigative skills? Or because I look like a criminal?" Zhao Yunlan did not look up from the file.

"Yes, and yes. Also, this could get dangerous, and once you are inside, you will be alone without any backup. We need someone who can take care of himself. Will you do it?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"I can't force you. I'll ask Cong Bo since his name is next -"

"No way! He would give himself away with his 'high and mighty' attitude. Besides, I'm a better fighter."

"I knew you wouldn't disappoint me." The superintendent leaned back and smiled.

A week later, the "Rich and Famous" prison admitted a new inmate #61318, convicted of money laundering for a certain powerful underground lord Who Must Not Be Named. #61318's face was not familiar to any of the other inmates, and for those who managed to find out his name, Bai Yu was a mystery.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A/N:

I'm back with an idea that I've been kicking around in my brain for some time, and hopefully can put into writing.  Updates will take longer this time since I must think up more of my own ideas, so please bear with me.

ZYL's inmate number 61318 => June 13, 2018, the day the first episode of Guardian aired.

And yes, I was watching Harry Potter movies during the weekend, so that's where the He Who Must Not Be Named comes from.