Part Thirty-Four

It was all Ashen could do not to run down the trail to the palace. The walk was relatively short, but Ashen wasn't keen on wasting time. Her father was in danger. She had to get to him. Even so, her body ached. No matter how much she wanted to, she knew she shouldn't overexert herself. She had to be patient. She would rescue her father and stop Smiegal. She had to.

A wave of relief washed over her as she and her crew reached the palace. Jonian or Selanca had doubled the guards at the palace gates. Most of them recognized her, either from the night before or from her previous trips. They moved aside the moment they saw her, urging her through. No one objected to her crew following her onto the grounds. Perhaps some of the guards remembered them as well.

To her surprise, her brother met her at the door. He threw himself at her, embracing her tightly.

"Ashen," he whispered, "I was so worried about you."

"I was worried about you, too," she said, and she realized she had been worried. Deep in her mind, she had feared that Smiegal might send someone after him now that Ashen had refused to join the movement. Her quartermaster had explicitly told her that he had only spared Jonian because he knew her brother's death would have devastated her. Not the greatest pitch.

Whether Smiegal had been lying or not, Ashen was relieved that Jonian was alright.

"Where's George?"

Her brother's question drove away any joy she'd felt at their reunion. Pulling back, she said, "The Frost Weavers took him."

Jonian's brow creased. "The Frost Weavers? What on Sienna would Frost Weavers want here? Why would they come here? We live in a desert!"

"They've been spying on the Kingslayers for some time, it seems," Ashen explained. "I suppose they believe taking George would discourage the group from attacking them."

"Are you sure it is them?" Jonian asked. "And why, exactly, would they think George held any sway with those monsters?"

Swallowing, Ashen said, "Because . . . because Smiegal is their leader."

Jonian said nothing, so she added, "Markael is working with them as well."

This time, her brother blinked in surprise.

"Markael . . . he allied himself with them?"

"He agreed to help them in exchange for a chance to kill Nikolai. I don't know how they even arranged it, but somehow Smiegal cut the deal with him. Honestly, I should have seen it coming. I should have known that something was wrong when the Flying Saints attacked the Azurian ships."

"Do not blame yourself for what they have done," Jonian told her. "You are not—"

"Responsible?" Ashen let out a humorless laugh. "It is my responsibility. Or rather, Smiegal and Markael are."

"We already tried to talk her out of it," Cecco said from behind her. Ashen whirled around to scowl at him.

"That is not so," she said.

"Regardless of that," Jonian interrupted, "you should not do this, Ashen."

"They have our father," she snapped. "How could I not? I can't just let the Weavers hurt George! What would you do?"

"I would protect the family I had left, which is what I am trying to do now," her brother replied. Ashen's face fell.

"You aren't going to help me get him back?"

"Ashen, I want to help you. I want to save our father, but I cannot just abandon Selanca and Anaya after everything that has just happened."

"You don't have to come," Ashen said. "Even a few guards would make a world of difference. Smiegal has the Flying Saints. I need all the help I can get."