Part Twenty-Seven

Ashen pressed her back against the barrels. If she made a run for the ship, they would surely see her. Then again, Smiegal and Nevae had not noticed her approach. Peder was much more observant. It was possible he would see her, or worse, recognize her.

Forcing herself to breathe slowly, she peered back at them. Smiegal's expression had changed upon Peder's arrival. Perhaps he hadn't realized Peder was there. Ashen couldn't fault him for talking to his sister to his sister. Still, how had the Viridians known they were in East Sienna? Smiegal had to have told them. It wasn't like this was the first time he'd betrayed her recently.

Nevae placed her hand on his arm. She was trying to entice him into coming on board, it seemed. He shook her off. The Head of Guard turned towards his companions. That gave Ashen what she hoped would be her perfect opportunity to run.

She groaned, remembering her dress. Running in it would be difficult. Perhaps Peder would not recognize her. He had only met her twice, and once under the charm spell. Surely, the details of her appearance could not be concrete in his mind. Maybe having her hair down and wearing a dress might fool him.

Could she take that chance?

Taking a deep breath, she dashed towards the Azurian ship. She heard Smiegal's voice call out to her. She swore. Why would he draw attention to her? Glancing behind her, she saw he was making his way back to the Azurian ship. Nevae and Peder looked confused by his sudden departure. Good. Peder hadn't made the connection to her yet.

Ashen nearly collided with her cousins as she ran onto the ship. They called out, their voices sounding puzzled. Ashen ignored them. Where could she escape Smiegal? He knew the ship now. She could not afford to take refuge in her own room. Or the twins' . . . Veida's . . . that was her best hope.

She reached the youngest princess's room and threw open the door. Alena sat at her daughter's bedside. Veida was asleep. Startled, Alena dropped the bowl in her hands. The porcelain shattered on the ground. Soup spilled everywhere.

"I am so sorry," Ashen said, kneeling to help her aunt clean the mess. She sniffed. "What is that smell?"

"Coriander," Alena replied. "It gives the soup more flavor."

Ashen paused in her effort to mop up the mess. As a sorceress, she knew what coriander smelled like, and this was not it. Alena had to know the spice's smell and had to know that was not what was in that soup. She had, after all, made it.

That meant she was lying.

"Are you alright?" Alena asked, looking worried.

"I'm fine," Ashen lied, returning to the task. She glanced up at Veida, who was still asleep. What was Alena up to? Why would she lie?

"You ought to go meet your daughters," Ashen suggested. "They are waiting for you."

"Oh, yes, I was utterly distracted." The queen stood. "Veida has become ill, so she will not be joining us for supper."

"Right," Ashen said absentmindedly. Her mind was already whirling on the topic of the soup.

"Try not to ruin your gown," Alena advised as she left the room. Her voice carried from the hallway, "Ashen is in there."

Ashen cursed herself. She should have warned Alena. It was too late now. She looked away as Smiegal entered the room.

"I know what you must be thinking," he stated.