Part Sixteen

Ashen ran down the halls to the guest rooms. She nearly collided with Stark. Her eyes noticed him just in time. She almost fell trying not to run into him.

"Captain, what's going on?" he asked.

"Find Smiegal—find anyone in our crew. Tell them we're leaving, immediately," she ordered. "I'm going after my father."

She was lucky enough to find George in his room. His hands were bandaged from the fight. The beating, more accurately. Ashen pushed the topic from her mind.

"We have to leave," she announced.

"Why?" he asked, leaping from the desk. The chair fell to the floor.

"Were you able to get the amulet?" she demanded. "Please tell me you have the amulet."

He tossed a chain and engraved stone to her. She caught it. A slight prickling sensation emanated in her fingers.

"You tell me."

She slipped it on quickly. Pondering its possible properties was a task for later.

"Do I even want to know how you got this?" she asked. He shook his head. Shrugging, she said, "Inara knows."

His face fell.

"Where is she?"

"Not a problem right now," Ashen replied. "Pack up everything you can before everyone gets here."

She dashed back to her room. Once she made sure that she had everything, she shoved it all back into her carpetbag. She did not like treating her possessions like that, but she had little choice.

After a minute or so, she returned to the hallway. Smiegal and Stark were not back yet, but George had summoned the other crewmembers. They looked confused. He must not have told them the situation. Not all of it, anyway.

"Where are they," she muttered, thinking of the two who were missing. She had just started to get really worried when at last they rounded the corner.

"They know," Ashen stated.

Two words and everyone understood.

They had to leave.

The crew was at the dock not quite half an hour later. Avoiding other people is hard enough when you are not in a large group. George summoned one of the boatmen. Ashen was breathing heavily. Smiegal was still having trouble. According to Ileo, George had fractured several of his ribs.

She dreaded spending the next several weeks confined on the ship with them.

"Will you be alright without healing?" Ashen asked her quartermaster. Their fight seemed petty compared to the current situation.

"We could kidnap a healer," Cecco joked. Ashen glared at him. He lowered his eyes.

Shrugging the best he could, Smiegal replied, "I think so. I might be a little weak for a while."

"I might have the ingredients for a healing potion. It won't do much, but—"

"It would be much appreciated," Smiegal cut in.

"Are you sure Inara did not tell anyone?" George asked Ashen quietly.

"No," she admitted. "She could have told them before talking to me. She implied she was waiting for me, but it could have easily been a ruse."

"Even if they know," Cecco said, "we can still outrun them."

"We hope," George added.

"I'm trying to stay positive," Cecco replied defensively.