Part Eight

The word kingdom was used loosely in regards to Carmine. The numerous active volcanoes on the other side of the island continent made a mere half of the land inhabitable. What was considered the kingdom consisted of a few scattered colonies all surrounding the palace.

Carminians valued beauty above all else, and it was evident in their architecture. Sandstone had been used to construct each structure. Evidently, the ancient people of Carmine each had the same standard of perfection, because every marble building looked exactly identical. They were all single story, with no windows. Entrances were very grand, more so than the ballroom of the Viridian palace. Openings were seven feet tall, and there were no doors. Having their buildings locked meant preventing everyone around from seeing the wonders behind the columned entrances.

Foolish narcissistic island-lovers, Ashen thought. She leaned against Smiegal as Ivitar and Ileo led them through the city.

"Where exactly are we going?" Ashen inquired, looking at her quartermaster. His being a good five inches taller than her meant she had to crane her head a little to peer up at him.

He glanced down, looking at her closely.

"George hasn't told us," he replied.

"George!" she called. Her father had been walking ahead with their guides. Hearing her, he slowed his pace to walk beside Smiegal and her..

"Yes?" he asked.

Shrugging her hair off her shoulder, she said, "We would like to know where it is we are heading."

"Don't drag me into this," Smiegal muttered.

Ignoring him, George told her, "King Idriton and Queen Illizabella have requested we join their family for dinner."

"No," Ashen stated.

"They are letting us stay here," George said. "This will give me a chance to negotiate for the amulet."

"Not worth it," she said. "Have you met the princesses? Five dolled up terrors."

"We came here for the amulet," George reminded her. "Fulfilling their request will please them immensely, so long as you and Inara do not get into another argument."

Princess Inara was the fifth daughter of Idriton and Illizabella. She also happened to be spoiled, selfish, and completely infatuated by her own beauty. Inara seemed to be under the impression no one else was even a fraction as lovely as she was, and felt the need to let everyone else in on this fact.

Ashen and she had a long-standing dislike of one another. Inara, at fourteen, was junior to Ashen by ten years. They differed in every aspect of everything, from tastes, to beliefs, to general personality traits. Ashen doubted they ever had a real conversation without sniping at one another. Well, Inara sniped; Ashen retorted inappropriately, as her father called it.

"We do need the amulet," Smiegal pressed.

"Fine," Ashen said. "I will deal with that little rick."

She did not apologize for her language. If anyone deserved the use of that word, it was Inara.

Stopping in front of a graphic fountain, she continued, "I will put up with her only if you, George, eat the eel skin pie."

Smiegal and George gagged on impulse. The Carminians only ate seafood, by which she meant they ate anything that came out of the sea, no matter how disgusting the prospect might seem to outsiders. Eel skin pie was the worst of the Carminians' food options.

After making several disgusted faces, George agreed to the terms. Grinning, Ashen let them lead her towards the palace. Perhaps a few days in Carmine would not be so bad.