Part Nineteen

Nikolai and Alena's cabin was nicer than hers, but not by much. It had two night tables covered in books and even more books on a bookshelf. Two armchairs were placed by the window. The bed was much larger, fit for the king and queen. They also had an in-room privy. All of which may have made the royal family comfortable, but was also incredibly inefficient on a ship. Yet another example of the wasteful greediness of nobility.

Had Arrow traveled with so many luxuries during her tour? Her parents hadn't come along with her, hence how George and Arrow were able to develop a relationship at all. Was that why Nikolai and Alena had chosen to accompany their daughters? To prevent something like that from happening again? Or had they accompanied the tour because of the unrest the Kingslayers were stirring up?

Ashen closed her eyes and tried to push away her thoughts about her mother. If she kept thinking of her mother, she might lose her temper again. She couldn't afford another incident after what happened with Veran. Behaving was important if she wanted to rescue George.

Opening her eyes, she saw that her aunt stood by the window. The twins were with her, also facing the window. Ashen noticed Veida wasn't with them. If she really was like Markael, Ashen understood why they would hide her away.

"Alena," Nikolai said. Alena jumped and whirled around. Ashen's cousins turned as well. While Nadya and Alena seemed pleased to see her, Natalya narrowed her eyes when she saw Ashen and her father. Crossing her arms, she looked Ashen over and pursed her lips. Ashen raised an eyebrow. Finally! Someone didn't want her there.

"Oh good!" Alena exclaimed. "Ashen, did you see your friend?"

"I did," Ashen said. "I also saw that Veran tortured him. He lied to you."

"Veran tortured someone?" Nadya asked. Everyone glanced at her. Her eyebrows knitted in concern.

"Yes," Nikolai told her. "I saw for myself. What he did . . . there will have to be consequences."

"Consequences?" Nadya repeated.

Natalya scowled. "Worried you cannot marry him now?"

"You're marrying him?" Ashen asked.

Nadya nodded. "We have been engaged for a year now. Father wanted us to wait until after my tour so I would be of age."

Ashen's eyes narrowed. That couldn't be right. Nikolai tried to persuade Arrow to marry him before the tour but failed. Age had not mattered to him then, why would it now?

"Looks like you will be waiting a lot longer now," Natalya said, glaring at her sister. Nadya huffed.

"A few months is nothing for love. Of course, you would not know; no one has ever loved you."

"Girls," Nikolai snapped. "You are princesses; your behavior is unacceptable."

Natalya gave her sister a sideways glance. Nadya, however, was staring at Ashen.

"Have we met before?" she asked suddenly, tilting her head and looking over Ashen again.

"No," Ashen said quickly. If Nadya remembered their meeting on Carmine, she might be suspicious. A suspicious Azurian was one of the last things Ashen needed.

Fortunately, her cousin didn't ask any questions or seem curious in the slightest. Smiling, she said, "I suppose you must look like your mother. I never met Aunt Arrowena, but I did see a portrait of her at Dorogoyev manor." Nadya straightened her dress and continued, "It is very nice to meet you, Ashen. Father and Mother told me a great deal about you and your family.

"Yes," Natalya agreed. "I am sorry for your loss."

"Thanks," Ashen said, frowning at her cousin. She didn't quite know what to make of Natalya. While she had seemed much more antagonistic, she also seemed more considerate than her sister.