Part Three

Three Weeks Later

Captain Alisdair's stomach plummeted when the black flags came into view. He did not know who the pirates were, but he did know he had to get his crew out of those waters.

He let out a string of curses as he attempted to maneuver the ship away from their adversaries. Having just left Ebony's waters, he had thought they were in the clear.

Fate clearly had other intentions.

"Captain!" his first mate called, joining him at the helm. Alisdair turned around.

Hands gripping the helm tightly, he asked, "What is it?"

"Burken just spotted—"

"I know what he spotted," Alisdair interrupted. "I am changing course as fast as I can."

"Changing course?"

"Yes, we cannot risk those vile creatures getting a hold of the cargo. The Frost Weavers will not be lenient if we lose their money. We would be better off dead."

"But they've got a girl."

"Excuse me?"

His first mate handed him a thin telescope. Holding it to his face, he peered through at the pirate vessel. Many men had gathered on the deck of the ship. A board—a plank, as those villains called it—had been placed on the edge. A girl in a blue dress stood at the end of it, several swords at her back.

Alisdair cursed. "We cannot let them kill her."

"We may be too late, sir."

"Not yet."

He turned the helm sharply and the ship swung in the direction of the pirate vessel. Eyes narrowing, he ordered, "Keep me updated on the state of their hostage. If she goes in, I am going in after her."

None of them said anything as he maneuvered their ship closer and closer to the pirates. The members of the crew were stony faced. If they were honest, they did not want to condemn an innocent woman to such a death. However, it was also a sailor's worst fear to be killed by pirates.

They were within range to swing over when one of the men screamed, "They have sent her over."

Captain Alisdair let go of the wheel and turned around in time to see the girl plummet.

"Take the helm," he ordered to no one in particular. He threw off his coat and boots. He also removed his shirt and sword, discarding them on the deck.

"Are you sure, Captain?" Burken exclaimed.

"I am," he stated, then jumped over.

The waves were calmer than they had been the previous nights, but they were still choppy enough to make his job difficult.

Forcing himself to open his eyes, he found the girl sinking rapidly. They had bound her, and she could not swim to save herself. He ignored the burning salt sensation overtaking his eyes and dove deeper, managing to cross paths with the woman. She allowed him to heave her towards the surface. Fortunately, she was not heavy.