13

Lil and I decided to have a small Christmas Eve get together, we made alcoholic hot chocolate and set up a few movies to pop into the tv when everyone go around. I sat in the back garden, a cloud of smoke engulfing me as I took in the night sky.

"Are you smoking?" Shane asked and I turned around, the old Sherlock Holmes pipe hanging from my mouth.

"It's a Christmas Eve ritual. I smoke a pipe the night before Christmas, I first did it when I was 14 with my uncle, who was a bit stupid." I said and Shane nodded, he motioned for me to hand him the pipe so I did and he puffed it, handing it back to me.

"Is that weed?" He asked with a laugh and I just smirked, turning back out to face my garden.

"Can we watch elf first?" He asked and I stood up, Shane following after and wrapping his arms around my body. I finished my pipe and placed it to the side.

"Sure thing bub." I said and pressed a long, soft kiss on his lips, until Ryan interrupted.

"You're gross. Come on, we're starting the movies!" He yelled across the garden and I pulled away from the kiss and rolled my eyes, pulling Shane towards the house.

There was six of us, Ryan and Helen, Lilly and Richard and Shane and I. Ryan and Helen took the love seat and Lilly And I took the couch. I cuddled into Shane, his hand on the square of my back and my head in his chest as we all laughed while watching elf.

Helen and Ryan left at 12 am, we wished each other Merry Christmas and they climbed into their Uber and headed home. That was when I got a phone call from the local shelter that Lilly and I sometimes volunteered at.

"Hey Jaz, you okay?" I questioned my friend who seemed panicked, Lilly stared at me from the couch as did the two boys.

"Yeah I'm good Ivy, I'm sorry to bother you on Christmas but we have this dog in and no one will take him. We really need your help." He breathed down the phone and a sudden rush of heartbreak ran over me.

"We'll be there in 10 minutes." I said and everyone looked at me weird and I just smiled. "Grab your shoes, we might have a Christmas miracle." I said and ran into the hall.

***

There was no time to get an Uber, so Lilly and I ran with the boys trailing behind us. As we came up to the shelter the lights were on and I could see Jaz sitting on one of the waiting room seats. Once I opened the door he rushed over to Lilly and I, hugging us quickly.

"Oh thank god. She was brought in a couple of hours ago by an elderly couple, they found her wandering around outside of their house." He said, taking us to one of the check up rooms.

There she was, the most beautiful dog I had ever seen in my life. My heart broke and how sad she looked. She was a blue staffie, a dog that should be filled with happiness was in a shelter at 12:15 on Christmas.

"I'll take her." I said, without looking at Lilly or any of the guys. I moved over to the dog, her sad eyes moved up to me and I cautiously moved my hand to pet her. She backed away, but finally, she let me pet her and I just melted.

"She doesn't have a name, no tag or collar. We think she's about 5." Jaz said and I just smiled warmly towards the dog who leaned into my hand.

"Her name is Pepper." I said and Jaz nodded beside me, smiling at the name. He handed me a lead and a collar, some extra food and a blanket. We started our walk home.

"I can't believe you did that." Shane said, his arm wrapped around my waist. Lilly smiled and laughed with Richard up ahead, then both talking about how bizarre the situation was. Pepper slowly walked beside her on her lead, looking around at her surroundings and every so often look up to me.

"The minute I saw her i knew I had to do something, no living thing should have to go through the feeling of being alone." I said, looking down to Pepper who looked up at me.

"I love you." Shane whispered, kissing my cheek and I laughed. Kissing him softly.

"I love you too." I said and he smiled. Once we got home, Rex farted towards us but stopped then he seen Pepper. He slowly approached and sniffed Pepper, before just happily going on with life. While willow, took one look at the dog and then went back to sleep.

"Ivy, we're gonna go up to bed. Do you think you'll be alright?" Lilly asked and I nodded and smiled.

"Yeah we'll be alright." I said and she nodded and smiled, her and Richard yelled a Merry Christmas before making their way upstairs.

"You can go if you'd like, you don't have to stay here." I said, looking up to Shane who just shook his head.

"Nope. I'm too invested in this now." He said and I just rolled my eyes and smiled. I took Pepper upstairs and made a bed in my room so she would have to deal with an over active puppy and a bitchy cat in the morning. I made a small bed beside my own, which consisted of a bunch of pillows and blankets. After that, I made sure Rex and Willow were shut in the living room and had plenty of water.

I filled their stockings with the treats and toys we bought them , and for once was happy we bought way to much stuff. I grabbed a third stocking we had from when I had another cat and placed a bunch of stuff in their for Pepper, before going upstairs and shutting my bedroom door and climbing into bed next to Shane.

"It's freaking Christmas!" I said excitedly, making Pepper look at me. I leaned forward and petted the dog, who just lay down again.

"Your an actual child." Shane laughed and I flopped down next to him.

"I just love Christmas." I hummed and Shane got comfy, bringing me closer to him.

"I know." He said and I smiled and cuddled closer to him, feeling myself slowly drift off.

"Merry Christmas Ivy." Shane whispered and I smiled.

"Merry Christmas Shane... and Pepper." I said and Shane laughed lightly and we both fell asleep, happy and content.