40. Coventry

NIGHT TIME. 221B.
********************

Sherlock sits in his armchair gently plucking the strings of his violin. In his mind he can still hear Mycroft's phone call.

"Bond Air is go, that's decided. Check with the Coventry lot." Says Mycroft.

Sherlock finally rouses a little and looks up.

"Coventry." Says Sherlock.

"I've never been, is it nice?" Asks Irene.

Irene, still wearing Sherlock's dressing gown and with her hair down, is curled up in John's chair watching him closely.

"Where are John and Elisabeth?" Asks Sherlock.

"John went out a couple of hours ago, And Elisabeth is downstairs." Replies Irene.

"I was just talking to them."

"They said you do that sometimes. What's Coventry got to do with anything?" Asks Irene.

"It's a story, probably not true. In the Second World War, the Allies knew that Coventry was going to get bombed because they'd broken the German code but they didn't want the Germans to know that they'd broken the code, so they let it happen anyway." Replies Sherlock.

"Have you ever had anyone?" Asks Irene.

Sherlock frowns at her blankly.

"Sorry?"

"And when I say "had," I'm being indelicate."

"I don't understand."

"Well, I'll be delicate then."

Getting up from the chair she walks over and kneels in front of Sherlock, putting her left hand on top of his right hand and curling her fingers around it.

"Let's have dinner." Says Irene.

"Why?"

"Might be hungry."

"I'm not."

"Good."

Hesitantly, Sherlock sits forward a little and slowly turns his right hand over, curling his fingers around her wrist.

"Why would I want to have dinner if I wasn't hungry?"

Slowly Irene begins to lean forward, her gaze fixed on his lips.

"Oh Mr Holmes..."

Sherlock's fingers gently stroke across the underside of her wrist.

" ... if it was the end of the world, if this was the very last night, would you have dinner with me?" Asks Irene.

"Sherlock!" Calls out Mrs Hudson.

Sherlock's eyes slide towards the door.

"Too late." Says Irene.

"That's not the end of the world; that's Mrs Hudson." Says Sherlock.

Irene pulls her hand free and stands up, walking away from him as Mrs Hudson comes in with the same bodyguard from the Palace.

"Sherlock, this man was at the door. Is the bell still not working?" Asks Mrs Hudson.

"What the hell is going on?" Says Elisabeth walking behind Mrs Hudson.

"Have you come to take me away again?" Asks Sherlock.

"Yes, Mr Holmes." Answers the bodyguard.

"Well, I decline." Says Sherlock.

"I don't think you do." Says the bodyguard,taking an envelope from his jacket and offering it to him.