7. Andrew West

REVISED & EDITED

Sarah Sawyer's Flat
***************************

John, who is just waking up the next morning in the living room of Sarah Sawyer's flat, sits up on the sofa with his shirt unbuttoned, he has apparently slept on said sofa and he is grimacing and trying to un-crick his neck. Sarah walks in, wearing a dressing gown.

"Morning!" She Says.

"Oh, mor--" Says John.

He turns to look at her but grimaces again and grabs at his neck in pain.

"Morning." He replies.

"See? Told you you should've gone with the lilo."

"No, no, no, it's fine. I-I slept fine. It's very kind of you."

Sarah has been scanning the sofa as he spoke and has now spotted what she was looking for. She reaches behind John's back to pick up the remote control for the TV, then sits on the arm of the sofa and turns on the telly.

"Well, maybe next time I'll let you kip at the end of my bed, you know."

She looks at him and grins briefly. John turns his head towards her but doesn't meet her eyes.

"Experts are hailing it as the artistic find of the century." The newsreader on the TV Says.

The news item is showing a photo of the Hickman Art Gallery, with a headline at the bottom of the screen saying "The Lost Vermeer."

"So, d'you want some breakfast?" Asks Sarah.

"Love some." answers John.

"Yeah, well you'd better make it yourself, 'cause I'm gonna have a shower!"

John looks at Sarah as she smiles at him sassily before leaving the room. He chuckles silently and starts buttoning his shirt.

"Back now to our main story. There's been a massive explosion in central London." The Newsreader Reports.

John looks at the TV screen and his face fills with shock as the picture changes to show live footage of a road where brickwork is scattered all over the pavement, and police cordons have been set up to keep people out. The headline at the bottom of the screen reads, "House destroyed on Baker St."

"As yet, there are no reports of any casualties, and the police are unable to say if there is any suspicion of terrorist involvement."

John is already on his feet and he hurries around the sofa to grab his jacket before turning towards the door and calling out.

"Sarah!"

He heads towards the front door, not even waiting for Sarah to reply to him.

"Sorry - I've got to run."

221B
******

John comes around the corner of the street almost opposite the flat, then stops briefly and stares. Continuing onwards, he heads towards the police cordon and makes his way through the small crowd of gawking onlookers. He approaches one of the police officers who is stopping the crowd from getting closer.

"Can I go through?" He asks.

He points towards 221 and the police officer lets him through. John walks into the main scene of devastation where bricks and dust are scattered all over the road and pavement. A fire engine is still on the scene and fire hoses are lying in the road waiting to be reeled back in. The windows and shop fronts of the buildings either side of Speedy's have been boarded up; Speedy's itself was protected by its metal roll-down screen. John stops and stares at the building directly opposite the café. The front of the ground and first floor has been completely blown out by the explosion and the rooms inside are exposed to the air. John turns and hurries towards 221, where the first floor windows have also been boarded up. A police officer standing outside Speedy's moves to intercept him but John explains.