25. Stayin' Alive

This chapter picks up precisely where "The Great Game" left off, with Sherlock aiming the pistol down at the bomb jackets. As he and Jim Moriarty stare at each other, the introduction to The Bee Gees' song "Stayin' Alive" begins to play tinnily. The Trio look around around, confused. Jim briefly closes his eyes and sighs in exasperation.

"D'you mind if I get that?" He asks.

"No, no, please. You've got the rest of your life." Answers Sherlock.

Jim takes the phone from his pocket and answers it.

"Hello? ... Yes, of course it is. What do you want?"

He mouths 'Sorry' at Sherlock, who sarcastically mouths 'Oh, it's fine' back at him. Jim rolls his eyes as he listens to the phone, turning away from Sherlock for a moment, then he spins back around, his face full of fury.

"SAY THAT AGAIN!" He shouts into the phone. Sherlock frowns.

"Say that again, and know that if you're lying to me, I will find you and I will skin you."

He hisses out the 's' of 'skin.' Sherlock briefly looks round at his friends.

"Wait." Jim says into the phone.

Lowering the phone, he begins to walk forward. Sherlock looks at the bomb jacket and fretfully adjusts the grip on his pistol as Jim approaches. Jim stops at the jacket and gazes down at the floor thoughtfully before lifting his eyes to Sherlock.

"Sorry. Wrong day to die." He says.

"Oh. Did you get a better offer?" Asks Sherlock.

Jim looks down at the phone, then turns and slowly starts to walk away.

"You'll be hearing from me, Sherlock."

He strolls back around the pool towards the door through which he originally came, lifting the phone to his ear again.

"So if you have what you say you have, I will make you rich. If you don't, I'll make you into shoes."

Reaching the door, he raises his free hand and clicks his fingers. Instantly all the lasers focused on The Trio dissapear. As Jim walks through the door and vanishes from sight, Sherlock looks around the gallery but apparently can see no sign of the retreating snipers. John sighs out a relieved breath.

"What happened there?" He asks.

"Someone changed his mind." Answers Elisabeth.

"The question is: who?" Says Sherlock.

Elsewhere, a woman's hand lowers her phone and switches it off. She walks from the landing into a bedroom, lashing a riding crop against the door as she speaks.

"Well now. Have you been wicked, Your Highness?" Asks The Woman.

Inside the bedroom, a pair of naked legs can be seen lying on a bed. The person's ankles appear to be tied to the foot of the bed.

"Yes, Miss Adler." Answers a female voice.

221B BAKER STREET. MAY 30.
*****************************

John is sitting at the dining table in the living room updating his blog on his laptop. Sherlock, wearing a red dressing gown over his shirt and trousers, is standing at the other side of the table drinking from a mug while leafing through a newspaper.

"What are you typing?" Asks Sherlock.

"Blog." Answers John.

"About?"

"Us"

"You mean me."

"Why?" Asks John.

"Well, you're typing a lot." Answers Sherlock.