BACK TO AGARTHA (Iselen P.O.V)

- I cannot believe that you talked me into doing this – I growl angrily while leaning my back on the wall behind me trying to catch my breath holding Lucyfur in my arms. Damn flights, I'll never get used to them.

- I didn't need to badger you a lot, actually. Babe, it's been running through your head for days almost driving you insane. You know this is the right thing to do: you'll talk with your mother and send her to hell. You'll be able to leave this kingdom behind finally and we'll move on with our lives.

I nod pouting because deep inside I agree with her: I have to turn over a new chapter in my life in order to start over by her side, this way I won't have a bad conscience over people dying due to the civil war. If my mum and her minions want to fight, will be up to them but I won't let them do that on my behalf. I look around feeling slightly dizzy even if this time the flight here was a little easier, probably because I didn't eat anything that could make me feel sick or because we travel light; this is a courtesy call and I don't expect I'll be here more than a day. I recognize my surroundings at first glance: the little backyard behind the East Tower, the window of the former den of my vampire it's exactly on the wall I'm leaning on, three floors above my head. That's where we're going wrapped in one of her shadow spells, no one knows we're here... yet.

Ruby's room looks very different than I remember. There aren't books placed on shelves, drying herbs hanging from the ceiling, sheets of paper stacked on the table and jars full of herbs, seeds and colourful liquids... also the ginormous and disgusting tarantula is missing, thanks God. There's a side door that I hadn't noticed before and leads to a small bathroom. The wooden shelves look weirdly bare even if everything is tidy, the evening light pours in highlighting the vaulted ceiling and the studio seems bigger... but the big divan with burgundy upholstery it's still in its place in front of the fireplace where a fire with green flames has been lit all of a sudden without wood. I stare at it quietly, entranced, because on this soft mattress is where everything begun. The Sorceress body sticks to my back and she puts her arm around my waist, her lips graze mi cheek and travel to my ear with soft kisses.

- Thank you – she whispers, her hot breath sending a shiver down my spine.

- Why? – I ask confused.

- Because you were brave, because you came that day asking for a painkiller, because you didn't faint due to fear, because you accepted my offer to travel around the world seeking adventure, because you love me...

- Loving you has been the easiest of all those things – her lips graze mines in a soft kiss before pulling away.

- It's getting late so this is the plan: we're going to grab a bite and then sleep on the divan. We'll confront your mum tomorrow and then go back home. Lucifer, you're going to share your old blanket nest with Lucy... I hope it's okay – she looks at the cat raising an eyebrow and the feline answers with an outraged meowing before turning around to show his former bed to his companion. Our dinner appears out of nowhere on a table, a light and unpretentious meal but perfect after a flight across the sea – Oh my... I forgot about this.

- About what? – I ask nibbling at a chunk of cheese.

- This bottle of blackberry liquor. It's from your uncle's special harvest... we should drink a glass toasting him, he was a contemptible, rotten guy... but he was the reason why we met after all.

- You're right, but just a tiny glass. I never enjoyed drinking alcohol because of my uncle's memories and his excesses.

One hour later we're lying on the divan, hugging tight so we don't fall to the floor since it's narrower than a bed. Cats are snoring in their corner and the fire warms the place up pretty good, forming shadows with odd colours on the stone walls while the Sorceress rubs lazily my naked back with her fingers and whispers: