MISSING (Ruby P.O.V)

- You know, it's very hard to concentrate on my job when someone is staring at me.

Lucifer doesn't bat an eye and keep his feline gaze fixed on me. Heaving a resigned sigh, I put the account book down on the table, cursing out loud when I realize that the quill has left a stain of ink on the parchment. I stand up and pour myself a glass of sweet wine while my cat follows my movements; he's getting on my nerves. I drink my wine in one gulp while looking through the rear window of my office spotting Iselen getting rid of the weeds in her garden. The memory of the "breakfast" she offered me a few hours ago brings a smile to my face... this little human never fails to surprise me. After all these centuries trying to find someone interesting now I have the most enchanting girl of them all.

When I turn around I see Lucifer staring at me in the same position, like he's made of stone, and I can't help rolling my eyes hard. That's enough! I scowl at him and my fury covers in ice the window glass behind me.

- I apologized to her and we worked things out. Maybe I went a little overboard but I had to make her understand the crazy thing she...

A feline snort cuts off my speech. Fucking cat! I flop down on my armchair ungracefully and cross my arms looking at him exasperated, my boot heel tapping on the floor nervously while his green eyes force me to search my own conscience. And I hate it because I've found out that, after all these centuries doing my will not giving a damn for what was wrong or what was right, after using and abusing others in my search for pleasure and knowledge, turns out that yes, I have a conscience after all. I thought that I had lost it long time ago but no, I'm aware that I've been mean to Iselen and I regret it. I'm so sorry... It hurts so much inside, I didn't remember that feeling bad for other people hurt so much and, in addition to this, I'm scared as hell because it's time for me to admit that I have feelings for her beyond the physical attraction.

- Damnit, Lucifer! What's wrong with me? How could I do that to her?

I cover my face with my hands, then running my fingers through my hair feeling more tired than I've never felt before during the past years. Finally, my cat feels pity for me and jumps on my lap purring, trying to comfort me. I pet him lost in my thoughts and closing my eyes, thinking about the events of the past few days and how easy it was for her to forgive me. Actually, she's forgiven me because she's not fully aware of what I did to her. If she knew... I'd be screwed.

After leaving Iselen tied up in our bedroom to make sure that she was going to stay where I wanted, I had to go out to deal with the corpse and, at the same time, I needed time to control my fury. I was aware that the emotional state of anger I was in could make me lose control and even kill her unintentionally. I went back to the alley and found the body under the wooden boxes; I searched the pockets just in case there was something useful although I already knew who the guy was. I'd recognized him immediately and the idea of having Kyte breathing down my neck disturbed me knowing that she wouldn't go after me but after my girl. My blood boiled with fury through my veins once again thinking of how she'd disobeyed me and how close to death she'd been. Damn stupid girl, why she can't do as I tell her?

I buried the corpse in a deep hole in the alley ground and tried to get rid of the magical energy remains floating in the air, I wanted to throw off the track anyone who was looking for us and who was able to look beyond the obvious. He most likely didn't have time to warn my enemy of my presence in this city but I couldn't be sure so I'd need to remain extremely vigilant from now on. I came back home making sure that all the minds of the humans on my way were clean and they had absolutely no recollection of me or the incident from hours before. I took several deep breaths before going upstairs, trying to calm down a little in order to have a rational conversation with Iselen and explain her that she'd made a huge mistake and messed things up. I kept my familiar routine before going to bed, following the same steps in an attempt to cool down a bit.