If Not Fast?

(prompt: 'slow' 28/9/18)

"But Mamma... He brought me flowers, and his compliments were SO sincere! And he makes me laugh; and he hardly stops watching my lips. He makes me ache to kiss him."

Matilda suppressed revealing her true feelings, and answers that could only alienate her darling. Bit them back - at least until she could learn more about this... this distasteful state of affairs.

Rosemarie rambled on innocently about Algernon's charms, finally admitting, "He did bump my leg a few times beneath the table, and his hand brushed mine often... but it was totally accidental," Rosemarie hastened to add, and her eyes glowed. "I could tell. He apologised so sweetly - EVERY single time."

Matilda took a deep, if shaky breath. And I suppose he NEVER leant in to whisper sweet nothings and ACCIDENTALLY let his warm breath flow over the tender skin near your ear; and she almost said out loud - "like he did to me!" And her pulse quickened with memory of his heavy breathing as he whispered his most lustful desires.

An almost super-human effort transformed her traitorous body into anger; more easily achieved when she whispered the name of her deeply trusted lady's maid. Misery hidden behind a fake sneezing attack, Matilda allowed Gertie's words to invade her damaged senses once more. 'Proposal. Algernon. Out of the blue. Love. Respect. Marriage. Algernon. Algernon!!' A virtual tsunami of pain engulfed her - although fury at her betrayal had the upper hand now. So this was Algernon's 'leave-it-to-me' idea of concealment of our illicit but torrid affair?!? First me, then his proposal to Gertie, and now Algernon's playing 'footsie' with my darling daughter. Ohh Rosemarie... my sweet, innocent Rosemarie. A sudden doubt assailed Matilda. Were there other victims? Other days... and nights? How far afield did his devious and despicable dalliances stretch?

How shall I protect my cherub from this... this... RAKE? That's what he is. Like that good book said, 'filled with animal passions demanding gratification'. Obviously one woman is NOT enough for habits of dissipation like his. Not even a woman such as I. This time a shudder of disbelief assailed her mortified senses.

Courageously and with utmost loving care, Matilda gently shared rumours she'd heard from more than one 'most reliable' friend reluctantly 'telling all' when they heard Rosemarie was stepping out with HIM. Algernon was strongly reputed to be just a little fast. Assuming the mantle of deeply concerned mother, Matilda reminded Rosemarie of their conversation of some weeks before about the dangers and heartbreak ahead for any young woman who should marry with a belief she could reform such a reprobate. Experts and gentlefolk alike agreed. An impossible and thankless task.

The painful 'reveal' continued for some time before a now tearful, shattered Rosemarie could face the truth of what lay behind that dashing demeanour, that winsome smile, that silver tongue sprouting supposedly sincere endearments and promises.

"So... so..." Rosemarie gasped between sobs as her mother held her tight against her ample bosom, "I sh-should reconsider L-L-L-awrence's most timid advances, because he's a 's-slow [sniff] l-learner'?"