With Love to the Missus

(prompt: 'proof' 20/7/18)

Mostly they were like two peas in a pod, except one particular time, when all was not exactly perfect.

The occasion was a wedding anniversary approaching and they were spending an evening window shopping in the city of Adelaide (no all-hours computer shopping in those days, mainly because there were no public computers. Even late night shopping was not yet born). My mother was trying unobtrusively to get Dad to notice a very beautiful and delicate tea-set in the busy window of a large Department store.

Her eyes glowed as she dreamed of such a treat to spoil herself with on the few occasions she took time out from her busy days looking after her family. With a tea-set like that, she could do a little entertaining in grand style - of ladies who were her family and friends. She pointed towards the dream, expressing her admiration and how much she would love to own something like that; even attempted to convince him how extremely 'useful' it would be!

His eyes brightened in turn and he nodded his head slowly, with a most thoughtful expression on his face. Mum joyfully believed she had succeeded. Not a doubt. Until... the important day, when the moment came to unpack the large box (no doubt full of the carefully packed tea-set). That just had to be what it was, she assured herself. It was SO big - there must have even more pieces to that beauty than she remembered! At last, layers and layers of wrapping later, she finally looked inside - NOT at a precious tea-set. NO-o-o-o-o! It was the heap of parts of the item that had been right alongside the teaset - a Vacola Preserving outfit - complete with 24 bottles, lids and seals - and an order sheet for further bottles in many different sizes!

My Dad thought it a great idea, getting her exactly what she wanted. He was so proud to have found something SO useful for when she did all the preserving for the family. He was dumbfounded when she burst into tears and rushed from the room! Can't you see it? Dear Dad shaking his head in confusion, one hand on his hip, the other running his fingers through his hair, as he said to no-one in particular,

"Well, I'll be... I don't know! There's just no pleasing you, Winnie!"

But he was wrong. He pleased her exceptionally well for the rest of the years of their life together - maybe learning from this episode. Interestingly, the preserving outfit was never replaced. He did give her a fine 6 person tea-set on her very next 'special' occasion, but the dear old Vacola Preserving Outfit reigned supreme for many years, feeding family and friends in right-royal style.

His countless gifts to her included the most exquisite jewelry pieces - and petticoats, nighties and bed jackets embroidered or embellished with the finest lace, proof of his abiding feelings for the love of his life.

Who'd have thought such a romantic Romeo dwelled inside that typical suburban 'butcher'?