Just another experiment

"I am not enough for you?" he asked. Before I could have done anything, he kissed me. I finally managed to focus my sight. But I couldn't have believed my eyes. His face... He saved me. I don't care about what people say. Maybe it's a person with evil intentions, but Theo Raeken saved my life.  

I slowly began to percieve ambient sounds. My shoulder, hip and legs - places where that I-don't-know-what-it-was bit me - were hurting so much. But it was not as terrible as when it happened.

I opened my eyes. It took me a while, I menaged to focus after about seven minutes. While walls, lots of strange machines and... transparent walls behing which people were going.

"Oh, see who's awake," mrs. McCall said. It was Scott's mother and something like local superhero and it seemed she was responsible for me, too. I began to wiggle because the pain was impossible to take.

"Mia!" she frightened and ran to me. 

"Sc-ott! I... need... Scott!" I yelled. Mrs. McCall ran out of the door, turned to the left and beckoned at someone to come to me. Scott showed up in the door. He ran to me immediately and grabbed my hand. That relief. I looked at Scott's arm. There were black lines running on it. I saw in his eyes he's suffering, so I took his hand and put it away. Scott's breathing heavily. It was hurting me again, but the pain was minimal, like when you scrape your knee or elbow.

I looked to the door. Mrs. McCall was outside talking to some boy. There was blood on his chin and mouth, but I didn't recognize him through the matte glass. He sat back on the chair with clasped hands and inclined head. Scott mum returned back to us.

"He's been sitting for hours," she told us, "he claims we have to let him go to you. But I fell like I already know him..."

"Mom," Scott circuvmented the bed I was lying in, came to his mother and beckoned outside, "he brought her here. Without him she wouldn't have probably even been with us yet."

"Theo?" I almoust shouted. Through the matte glass I saw Theo looking up and standing. Scott's mom went to open him immediately and beckoned to go inside.

"I'm sorry, Theo, but regulations are regulations and I-"

Theo wasn't percieving her. He barely came inside the room when he ran to me and hugged me. "Oh, Mia," he whispered. When he pulled away I saw him wiping a tear off his face.

"Theo..." I said panicky when I saw blood on his face.

"Oh," he smiled, "that's nothing. I'll explain you later. Now I gotta confirm something." He turned to Scott and whispered him something. Scott froze. He whispered something to his mom. She just gazed and left."

"Hey," I turned at Scott and Theo, "it's sorta improper to insult somebody you're sharing one room with at the moment."

Mrs. McCall returned with some folder and began to browse her. She stopped on one page and sropped the folder with a yelling. Theo took it and started reading it. When he tore of his eyes from it he wasn't as far from crying. Scott looked over Theo's shoulder looked into the folder, too. "You're a chimera," he exhaled.

"Well, I know I am. When I was eight I underwent a bone marrow transplantation. Is there a problem?"

Theo and Scott looked at each other, but Scott's mum answered me instead: "You know, Mia, all those teenagers had already been genetic chimeras. That means..." I looked at Theo nervously, he finished her thought with tears in his eyes: "that you're next on their list."

"We'll watch over you," Scott decided. He wanted to leave.

"Scott!" Theo stopped him. Scott turned. "Don't tell anyone. Please." Scott nodded gently and left. So did his mom.