Chapter 43 - Bait

Start from the beginning

"If I knew that the Merchant He Yi was such an evil man, I might have killed him that night." Yu Zhu said without preamble, "It wasn't until recently when I talked to a friend of mine, did I learn of it."

Lu Xi stared at Yu Zhu confused, "For what? You came and got me. That's more than what my parents would've done."

Yu Zhu looked at Lu Xi sadly, "I'm more than happy for you to stay here. But if you want, you can tell me if you want to live with any of your family in the area."

Lu Xi thought about it, "My aunt lives in Loach Village, about a two day ride from here. She was kind to me. But..."

"But what?" Yu Zhu asked. Lu Xi looked at Yu Zhu with her eyes full of tears, "what if the merchant's gotten to them already to find out about my whereabouts? He's probably killed my family. And word is that he's selling villagers off as slaves in the confusion of war."

Yu Zhu nodded, "I've heard about it. He's been running a slave trade  by raising the price of grain. When the people can't afford it, he takes payment in children and women instead."  Lu Xi nodded, "I overheard them talking about a ledger, it's where he keeps all of his dirty trades. My cousin was taken that way. A lot of the girls in loach village disappeared over night."

Yu Zhu's eyes lit up, "Did you hear where it the Merchant kept the ledger?"

Lu Xi closed her eyes, "I... I'm sorry. I don't know" Yu Zhu nodded, "No matter, I know other ways to find out. I will help you find out what happened in Loach village." Lu Xi's eyes filled with painful hope, "Thank you" She whispered.

Yu Zhu patted her shoulder, "In return, come and help with out in the shop. There's not much to do, but you can be in the back room, where you won't be spotted by any of the Merchant's men. I'll teach you how to write and read. And in the night, Lin Yu will teach you martial arts."

Lu Xi was bewildered, "All this for the likes of me? I.. I can't"

Yu ZHu slipped a finger beneath the girl's chin and forced Lu Xi to look up, "You can and you will. So much of your life has been decided by others. I want to give you the tools to help you choose the path you walk on."

Yu Zhu released the girl, "We can't choose how our lives will end. And sometimes we can't choose where we will go. But how you face each obstacle is your choice. For a month, you've mourned for end of your life as you know it. Now it's time for you to fight for life you want."

Yu Zhu smiled, "I promise, it'll be worth it."

====

"Lin Yu. What a surprise. You haven't been here in so long. It's been a month hasn't it?" Madame Su's smile did not reach her eyes, "Perhaps you'll grace us with a dance tonight, the men are getting...impatient."

Lin Yu sat with her feet dangling over the tiny delicate bridge, her toes skimming the surface. Above  were thousands of tiny lamps, making the air glow and the scene ethereal. This was the Secluded Garden, the women's wing of the dance house that hundreds of dancing girls slept in.  Lin Yu lazed in the giant courtyard surrounded by floors of rooms, underneath the pink peach blossom tree. This was where the girls congregated before meeting clients.

Tonight the dance house was packed with men, and most of the girls were getting ready for another night of entertaining the rich and lecherous.

Lin Yu shrugged, "I don't feel like it. I'd rather keep the new girls company, some just came from the countryside." She got up, "I'll go see them now."

Madame Su was one of the most powerful women in the city, with hundreds of dancing girls at her beck and call. She had allowed Lin Yu to be wild and carefree. It seemed that the less the little chit danced, the more men flocked to her dance house. But the shrewd women knew it was never smart to dangle such a prize over a group of men too long.