Chapter 7: Mind Games

Connor's POV:

Sitting in the waiting area, I was desperate to hear the call to board my flight to South Africa. I puffed out a held in breath, laying my head back in the process. I took a hold of my newly injured arm; a courtesy of the fight I had with my father before I left home this morning. I dreaded this; I didn't want to fly out to South Africa. So, that's pretty much how we say our goodbyes in the Franta household. Violence was the only thing we knew. I closed my eyes, wincing at the slight pain.

I will not cry.

I will not show weakness.

I grew up with a corrupted father who ran after glory, power, and money. He would do anything to grasp all three. Anything. My poor mother left him after his constant abuse to the both of us. I was 12 when she decided to file for divorce. My father went berserk, but mum never backed down. It was as if something in her finally ticked, and she was set off like a grenade.

When mum demanded full custody, however, her battle was lost in vain. And when it was time for our final farewell, I looked in her dimmed eyes for the last time; I knew then that I will no longer have a safe haven. And she wouldn't either.

At least, that's what I thought until I was introduced to Troye; my father's boss's son. As a 14-year-old boy, the first thing that came to mind when I witnessed him practicing his ballet while singing in his room, was that I've never seen such a radiant boy. I'm sure my eyes lit up with endless galaxies at that time, and I knew that girls were off the table.

His laugh was a symphony, and his eyes held the ocean within them. I longed to make him mine ever since, but little did I know how much viciousness was installed in him by his demanding parents. I never blamed him nor did I fight back when he hit me; I understood his frustration because I was just as broken. It was more painful when he kisses me out of nowhere, though. Because I knew that, unlike mine, his heart wasn't a rumbling storm when it happened.

But I still loved him.

I opened my eyes when the announcement was finally made, and dragged my luggage behind me with my good hand. I slept when we were swimming in the clouds, and when I stepped my foot in South Africa a cab was already waiting to take me to where Troye is staying. I did notice, however, that the Suggs arrived there at the same time as I did. We entered the fancy hotel, and the first thing I heard was The ballet geeks running towards the distressed pair. I ignored the commotion in the lobby with an eye roll, and quietly asked the concierge for Troye's room number.

"What are you doing here?"

I froze in my spot for a few moments, before turning around.

"What's it to you, Fairy?" I smirked menacingly. I knew I was being a hypocrite since I liked snogging boys too, but I'll be damned if I let Daniel Howell find that out about me. I'll be damned if I let anyone, besides Troye, in on it.

"Pity. Your insult does nothing to my non-existing soul," Dan blurted with a sneer. "Just so you know, we will find Joe eventually. I don't know if you and that bitch Troye are connected to his disappearance butـــ"

"Who disappeared you fucking twat?" I spat, not exactly understanding a word he's saying.

Could this be the reason why I was sent here?

Dan looked at me with an almost dumbfounded glare, "You don't know? Well anyway, I said what I said. You bullies better watch it."

"Or what?" I glared back, my fists clenching by my side. "You know better than anyone that I don't like threats. Want another beating you little shit?"