ChapterTwentyTwo: His Prey

The moon shined through the window. It was truly a beautiful night with stars on the sky and bright moon shining even brighter than the stars. Maeve was sitting on the large bed trying to gather all of her thoughts. What should she do? Sit in there and wait for him as he drank wine next to a big fireplace. 

He didn't have his shirt on anymore. Instead of warming his muscles it warmed and decorated the floor. 

The dim light in the room didn't let Maeve see all the outlines of his back but it let her see few scars on his skin. It made her want to feel the scars under her fingers. Every scar has a story and she wanted to know where and how did he get those. 

He took a big gulp from his wine. 

"May I have s-some?" Maeve muttered quietly but knowing that he will hear her. 

"You want wine?" His mate nodded. She never stopped surprising him. Last time she wanted wine was on the balcony but he was so wasted that entire night he really didn't remember much. Just some ladies that danced around him in skimpy clothes and exposing their cleavage. But he did remember kissing the human clearly, what her lips felt against his and how she let her hands go through his hair. Maybe he should have drunk less and been soberer but no one can change the past, even though you would like to do it sometimes. Even Dominic had a few things he would change in his past. One of them would be killing all the humans' with his father when he was still alive but he died a long time ago.

Maeve thanked him as he gave her a glass full of red liquid called wine. The light of the fireplace made it sparkle a little. As she took a sip she almost moaned. It tasted really good better than ever before, actually, it was her third time of tasting it. Her mother had whew bottles but they were locked away and if she saw Maeve even looking at them she would start to nag her about how she is still too young to be drinking.

"You like it?" The werewolf asked.

Maeve shook her head, "I love it." She said and gave him the biggest smile she had given in a long time. Her face muscles even started to hurt a little. Maybe he isn't that bad what they say? You just need to get to know him better. 

She took another sip of her wine and grinned. Something bitter spread in her mouth. The human noticed that the alpha male was staring right at her as she grinned. Because she didn't want to seem impolite she tried to keep smiling as her mouth was dying. 

What is happening to her? Did he poison her? Maeve wanted to cry as she felt her throat burn. Has he finally managed to do the only thing he has wanted since she took a step inside the castle? She started to scratch her throat as if the burn would stop magically.

 Dominic looked at the teary eyes of the human. Her eyes wandered around the room trying to find something. When her eyes stopped at the class of water next to him he realized that she clearly wanted some water.

He took the glass of water and gave it to her. 

Maeve looked at the water first little cautiously, after all, she didn't know if he poisoned it too but after a few seconds she took the glass and drank like she hadn't seen water in years.

"If I knew that drink would have affected the way it did, I wouldn't have given it to you." He said taking a sip from his drink.

Maeve looked at him as a tear fell on her cheek, " You didn't p-poison it?"

Dominic snorted, "Do you really think I would poison you?" Because the human didn't answer and looked at him with wondering eyes he continued, "I don't poison people, Maeve."

"Oh." She breathed. It was weird hearing him say her name, first of all, she thought he didn't even know her name. He has always called her by 'human' or 'girly' or something else that she didn't like.