ChapterOne: Human

THIRTEEN YEARS LATER

Maeve dropped the last white rose on her mother's grave. 

Her heart was broken. She and her mother used to be extremely close. She was the most important person in her life and now she was gone.

Maeve did have siblings as well but never had she been as close with them. And half of them had died along her mother in the unfortunate accident. A forest fire in the middle of the bloody winter. No one could name who or what had started it.

"Maeve." Her older brother William came closer. "It is getting cold and mother would not want us to mourn her in the cold where we could get sick."

"How do you know that?" 

"I have a feeling." William smiled.

Now that she had turned eighteen many men had came to ask her hand in marriage. William could not blame them.  She was a beautiful young woman, with long strawberry blonde hair and hazel eyes. She reminded him of her mother.

Every facial expression was filled with the similarity of Alison.

 She also had some similarity to their father. Maeve had never met him. William had. The day Maeve was born he met his father for the first and the last time.

"Let's go. I will make you a cup of hot chocolate." He saw her face change immediately.

"You know me too well."

"I know Maevey, I know." He said and hugged her closely.

When they finally found their way back to the small cabin, Maeve started crying once more. William decided to leave her to mourn on her own and walked towards the kitchen.

Maeve could not understand why her mother chose to give her own life to save hers.

She was the one who had been in the woods.

She was the one who did not notice the danger as birds stopped singing.

She was the one sitting in the middle of flaming trees.

Everything had happened in a blur.

Alison had seen the smoke coming from the woods. She had made the choice to run into the woods to save her child. A choice that costed her own life.

She had jumped in front of a falling tree. While doing so she pushed Maeve out of the way. The flames covered her body soon after and then she was gone. With her last breath she whispered her final words: "forgive me Oliver."

Maeve's tears did not stop when William brought her her favorite treat. Hot chocolate had been her favorite vice in the whole world ever since she was six summers old.

***

Far away from the crying girl was a castle.

That castle held more secrets and evil than many any other place in the world. That castle was the home of Dominic Deàsun.

The man in question was walking down the hall to find his most trusted man, his beta, Cato.

"My King, please wait." A young servant boy was running behind him.

"WHAT" The man growled out . The servant boy was sure that he had just wetted his pants. "Sec-se-sector s-seven is d-d-d-down." The boy stuttered out.

The servant boy realized that the King probably had not heard him so he said it again without stuttering. Or that was what he hoped. 

"What do you mean by that."