choice

eloise's mother had never been the motherly type. she had gotten pregnant too young, but the baby on the sonogram screen was too beautiful to give up. so she kept her, little baby eloise, all pale eyes and tiny fingers.

she wonders if she would have made a different choice, if she had known her daughter would suffer through so much.

they're in group therapy with the other children that had been abducted and their parents. eloise is sitting next to her, looking well-rested for once, and she keeps making faces at another girl across the circle. her mother feels like she should tell her daughter to pay attention, but she's honestly just happy to see her doing something other than scowling.

the therapist, dr. fern, is kind and efficient. she specializes in children with PTSD- which eloise's mom thinks is oddly specific, but what does she know about anything medical? dr. fern steeples her hands in front of her and gazes at them each in turn. "this is a case unlike any i've bad before, so i'm not going to be following protocol, even though that's what they-" she points out the window where lab coat-clad doctors are milling about, "-want me to do. i want to do what is best for each of you, no matter what." she gives them a small smile. "i think you deserve at least that much."

a boy across the circle catches eloise's eye, and her mom watches as he mouths something she can't decipher. but eloise must be able to, because her eyes widen a little and she nods, glancing at dr. fern.

"dr. fern?" the boy says hesitantly, like he's not sure it's his turn to speak. but the doctor nods at him encouragingly. "we've all talked about it and i think we know what would be good for us."

"well, do tell, caleb."

caleb looks back at eloise, as if for strength or reassurance, and her mother feels her chest constrict. this boy better not get attached. she knows her daughter.

at least she thought she did. but then caleb speaks again: "we don't want to lose each other."

there's a beat of silence, one that's there because all the adults in the room are surprised, and then another boy jumps in. "we all went through this together. please don't take that away from us."

"we need each other," eloise says, her voice passionate, and the boys nod. "i mean- you might not understand it. of course you won't. but we were all there, in those rooms... we were all we had, and you can't take that away."

eloise's mother grips her daughter's hand, surprised when she doesn't pull away. she'll take her daughter's side no matter what.

dr. fern's face is impassive. she taps her pen against her clipboard, shifting her gaze from one child to the next, taking a long enough time that eloise begins to shift impatiently in her seat.

finally, she says, "i think that, if you all feel that way, it is an excellent idea."

eloise's frame visibly drops as the tension leaves her, and her mother sees that the other children are reacting similarly. as for the parents, some look unconvinced, but others look like they have no objections.

there's no handbook for this sort of thing. no one expected this to happen. how can they know what the right thing to do is?

"sweetheart," eloise's mother says, quiet and hesitant, running her hand through her daughter's hair. "are you sure about this?"

eloise nods, her hair falling out of her eyes. "i've never been more sure of anything. i need them. i know that must sound weird, but-"

"no," her mother says, smiling kindly at her. "i believe you. i trust you."

she does. she does. after everything, she does.

-----------------

AN: i have just a few notes! the first is that i know i've mostly been writing about eloise lately, but that's because she's kind of the main focus. all the characters are main characters, but it started with eloise and i feel like it should end with her too.

that being said, i think i'm going to have to end this story soon. :( it's difficult to keep up the momentum and plot now that they're awake and happy, and i don't want to drag it on any longer than necessary. i love these characters and their story so much.

finally... when i do finish this (which will hopefully/ unfortunately be soon), i would really like to write a sequel. one where they're back in the world, in school with other people, etc etc etc. i'll need to come up with a new plot, but i feel like their story just isn't over yet!

thank you all so much for reading. i love you :)