suspension

"i don't know," shae says, probably for the hundredth time. "one moment i was at a party and the next i was waking up here."

it's the truth. technically. she doesn't tell them about the home in her head. they wouldn't understand.

the policewoman who has been interrogating her is kind. she doesn't push and she had told shae that she and caleb had been kidnapped and drugged, kept unconscious and used for prostitution.

eloise had been right.

eventually she works up the nerve to ask if any of the others are here, and the woman looks confused. "others?"

"yes. there were others. there were- there were a lot of us. eloise, mia, bryce-"

"how could you possibly know their names?" the woman asks, leaning her palms on the table. she doesn't seem so kind anymore. "you said you were unconscious until we found you."

"right. but i just..." there's no way to explain that they lived in each others' heads without sounding crazy. "i don't know. i just knew. never mind."

the woman studies her. after a too-long silence, she says, "your parents are waiting outside. your brother's still recovering. we're going to need to keep you around for some more questioning."

"i've told you everything," shae says automatically, but even she can hear her voice is stretched thin and high with anxiety. "please. i just want to go home."

"you're a part of an investigation now," the woman says, tapping her finger on the tabletop as if that ends the conversation. "you're not going anywhere, not yet."