reunion

shae's wheelchair click-clacks down the empty hallway, her hands sticking to the wheels a little. she's never used a wheelchair before. she's never had to. but she's too weak to walk and caleb hasn't come to see her and she just needs to see for herself how much damage has been done to her brother.

well, to his body. she already knows the damage that's been done to his mind.

his name is posted outside his room and she finds it almost immediately. it's just past oliver's and she makes a promise to visit him soon, but right now her brother comes first.

caleb is reclining in his hospital bed when she rolls in, his tv playing some late-night cartoon. he looks zoned out. shae pushes herself to his bedside, stopping with a huff of breath. "hey."

he blinks a few times, like he's waking himself up, and it takes a moment for his eyes to fully focus on her. "shae. oh my god."

"i know," she says, her voice wavering, and he clasps her hands in his own. "i'm here."

"we all thought you were dead," he pushes out, his eyes wide. "when you weren't in your dreamspace, we thought you were dead."

"no." shae shakes her head. "the police came to the- to the place. i was in the first room. they took me back to the hospital and i guess they didn't find you for a few more hours."

"worst hours of my life," caleb says, his face scrunching up, and shae feels a tear roll down her cheek. she stands up from her wheelchair on unsteady legs, gripping the side table as she clumsily pushes herself onto the edge of his bed. she rolls over so her face is pushed into his shoulder and tucks her legs up, curling into his side.

"i'm going to stay here for a bit, okay?" she asks, but he nods before she even finishes the question.