Chapter 13

"Life is filled with unanswered questions, but it is the courage to seek those answers that continues to give meaning to life." - JD Stroube

I am utterly swallowed in someone else's story. A family's mystery, of which I have no business knowing, is gnawing away at my ability to resist curiosity. Perhaps it is addicting the way a good novel is addicting, traveling through all the tribulations in order to find the light at the end of the tunnel, the diamond that lies deep beneath all the rough.

I have stumbled into the middle of a real life book, and here I am trying to figure out what I have missed. A book starring Chase, maybe the protagonist, maybe the antagonist. A book filled with the intriguing story of Cecilia, and her relationship with Phillip. A book demonstrating the dangerous ties, between a gang and an accused man. And now, a book including a girl who just couldn't keep her nose out of it.

------

I sat in the cafe for a while after Phillip left so abruptly, simply sitting, and sipping my drink. As I sat, I came to a decision. While it may seem as though time is infinite, it is not. I have one summer, which is clicking away with every second. I have a man whom I am absolutely inthralled with, whom I could pursue if I act now. Though I do not know the first thing about him, I do know that I want to be with him, I want the adventure that comes with him. So that leaves me one simple option, to go to him.

With that, I stood up, walked straight to my car, got in and began driving the direction of Chase's home. The sky was now cloudy, a rain drop here and there, but still 82 degrees. I pulled of the highway, noticing the unusually long lines at the gas station. I rolled my window down as the rain died down momentarily, and heard a loud siren.

Glancing around my car, I found no police cars or ambulances, and no one was pulled over the way you would be if there was an emergency vehicle coming. Instead, all the cars were headed in one direction, Up.

I wheeled around in the direction of everyone else, deciding to follow suit. Panic began to settle, as this unknown disaster unfolded. Everyone was maniacle, the traunquility of Hawaii was out the window, as everyone scrambled to the saftey of high ground. I didn't know what to do, where would I go. Without a second thought, I grabbed my phone and called Chase.

One ring

Two

Three, I dreaded the voicemail box that was soon to come.

Four rings

"... Taylor? Where are you?" I sighed with relief at the sound of his booming voice. "Taylor! Hello?"

When his voice Suddenly brought me back to reality, the panic returned. "Chase? What's going on?" I choked, watching people running up the streets in a frenzy.

"Taylor, listen to me, I need you to turn around, wherever you are, and come straight to me. Don't stop until you get here, do you here me?"

"I-uh-ok. I'll be there" I said, as I fumbled with the gears, and switched into reverse. Hanging up the phone, I whipped the car around, trying not to be freaked out by the vacancy on the other side of the street. I was only a little ways away from where Chase's beach home was, within no time I was skidding up his drive way. As soon as I came to a stop, I grabbed my phone and purse from my back seat and ran towards his front porch. He came down the steps holding a large bag, but dropped it as soon as he caught sight of me. With no hesitation on his part, I was engulfed in a bone-crushing, soul-saving hug, in which time slowed to a stop and everything was just right once again. How could I be so comfortable in the arms of a stranger?

The hug ended all to quickly and Chase began to speak. "We need to get inland, and fast. The sirens started nearly 30 minutes ago, which leaves us close to no time. There are some bags by the front door that need to go in the truck, and anything you need out of your jeep, then let's get out of here."

I nodded, not feeling the need to waste time speaking. It was evident now, just what kind of disaster we were dealing with. After hauling a heavy box to his truck bed, I grabbed an overnight bag out of my own trunk and some other necessities, then locked her up. Chase was already getting into the cab of the Silverado so I followed suit and took my seat in the front. He sped off down the driveway, then began the descent upon the now deserted streets. As we drove, warning messages came over the radio repeatedly, becoming more numbing each time. Soon the coastline could be seen from a safe distance, as we wound up a mountain road.

"Where are we going?" I inquired after some time.

"A friend's old place up here, we will be safe there, it's built to weather storms like this." as he finished up his sentence we pulled onto a dirt road, that was now more mud, than dirt with this heavy rainfall. Eventually the car came to a stop in front of a small, green house built into a mountain side. We pulled into the make shift car port, and Chase got out to unload.

With a few bags in tow, he unlocked the front door and revealed a well decorated, but tight, home. I walked in setting all my stuff down, as he ran back to finish getting all of our things and button down the tarps that sheltered the car from outside forces. As he jogged back through the sheets of rain, I couldn't help but watch the perfect ripple of each of muscle under his mud stained, soaking wet white T-shirt. As he neared the front porch, I opened the door for him, taking some bags and setting them in the kitchen

"We need to fill the bathtub with water, for drinking and such..." he half spoke half to himself, as he walked to the bathroom still dripping. I sat on the kitchen counter, head in my hands, not because of the situation at hand, but because I was buried in feelings for this boy. What was I going to do, stranded in this small studio apartment sized house for god knows how long.

He came back in walking more slowly than before, now that everything was taken care of. I still sat on the counter, and he stood in the middle of the kitchen rubbing his neck awkwardly. Not enjoying how uncomfortable this situation was, I hopped off the counter, a walked up to him. He watched a little confused, I grabbed the bottom of his muddy, wet, shirt and tugged up a bit.

"Take this off, I'll wash it for you." I all but whispered, afraid to meet his gaze. Hesitantly, he began to lift it, revealing his sculpted abdoman. I sucked in a breath and felt his eyes on me. Why couldn't he just take it off swiftly like normal people! He was clearly doing this to tease me. It traveled further and furhter up his chest, ever so slowly, as it was just about to come off, I couldn't help it, I looked up at him. His eyes were dark with desire, as I'm sure mine were to. Before I knew it his lips were on mine. mine were on his. I'm not so sure how it happened, but I did know that I have never felt something so right. My insides were burning in the best way possible, I let my hands slide behind his neck as he moved one hand to my lower back, and kept the other on the side of my face. When we both ran out of breath, he pulled back and we looked at one another. Chases eyes were alit with happiness, and his lips pink. Then I realized, that quite simply wasn't enough, so I stood up on my tippy toes and pushed my lips back to his, this kiss was more intense, now his hands were pulling me to him, crushing our bodies into one. And then I knew, I had fallen for him.