Chapter 9

**UNEDITED**

Chase's Point of View....

When I saw the bruises on her arms, I was infuriated. I was beyond angry with Josh, honestly I could kill him right here and now. I had only met Taylor, two days ago but something inside me made me turn my world around to simply revolve around her. I couldn't be next to her at that moment, I was too angry with the man who had tried to hurt her. I stood up fast and walked towards the ocean, kicking the sand as though it were him. I paced just out of view, sorting thoughts out in my mind. I should have known Josh would find her, and try to get with her, just to spite me, and how was she to know his intentions. She wouldn't, she was taken advantage of, Josh hurt her mentally and, apparently, physically. I had been lost in my thoughts when I felt something brush my shoulder, it made me flinch, but I calmed when I felt her delicate hand settled onto the fabric of my shirt.

"It's ok." She said to me, so quietly I could barley hear. No, it wasn't ok.

I thought of how to reply. Before I could say anything, she turned toward me and looked me in the eyes. Her bright blue eyes sparkled in the moonlight, and her ocean tossed blonde hair fell gently against her sides, encasing her beautiful face. She threw herself against me, bracing my body tightly, I pulled her closer and kissed her the top of her head, as she laid it against my chest. Everything was right, she was safe, I could keep her safe from the very dangers I would be putting her in. We stayed together, melted onto each other, until I loosened my grip and she pushed off my chest. I watched her turn back towards the fire, she made me feel like nobody else, ever had.

I pulled the only blanket I had, out of my emergency box and handed it to her. She took it gratefully and laid her head to her towel. I walked over to my towel and mirrored her previous action, laying my head down to the towel. She stirred a bit and I saw her turn to look at me, so I snapped my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep. I must have failed miserably because she reached over and flicked my knee, making me chuckle.

Then she stood up and I watched her inquisitively, she laid the blanket down and slipped her towel towards mine, only to stop when they were joined closely together. Then she plopped back down onto her towel, this time closer to me, and spread the fuzzy blanket over both of us. I felt bad that she felt the need to share, but I took it gladly for I had been kind of cold. Having her this close but not touching her was some kind of torture. I tried to resist my urge to hold her but failed.

Taylor's Point of View...

After I had scooted over to share my blanket with him, I stayed still, listening to the rhythm of his breathing increase. Then I felt a warm hand on my exposed hip, realizing it was him, I mean there really isn't anyone else it could be, my heart started to beat faster. After testing the waters with my hip, he slowly slipped his arms around my torso. I shifted closer to him and allowed him to wrap fully around my torso and the other he put under my head, to act as a pillow. I was warm lying next to him, under the blanket. I admired the stars and listened the the intense crack of each wave against the shore, all was right, I was happier than I had been in a long time.

When I awoke I rested comfortably in his arms, with my head on his perfect chest. I raised my head to look at him, but he was already looking down onto me. He smiled, and so did I. When our eyes locked onto each others, nothing else mattered. I was lost so deeply in his beautiful earth toned eyes, I became dizzy, so dizzy that if I had been standing I for sure would have collapsed to my feet. He was more handsome every second. I simply rested my head back on Chase's chest, intending to make everything of this moment. As he took a deep breath, his chest moved up and then back down steadily, making my head move too. He moved his hand nervously towards my head and ran his smooth fingers down my cold face, sending shivers down my spine. His hands found their way to either side of my face and cupped it gently. My heart raced and Chase's thumbs moved rhythmically back and forth.

I felt as though he could see right through me, sense any pain that may be left from my crumbling household , and I only wish I could see what bothered him so much. In one last attempt to be as close to him as possible I wrapped my arms around his toned body and waited for him to pull me in close. As if on queue, he did so and we stayed on those towels, listening to the waves crash and watching the sun rise, tangled in each others arms.

••••

At some point I must have drifted back to sleep, because I was startled awake by Chase bolting upright. It must have been around 9:00, the sun hung lightly in the sky and the air was still crisp. I followed my gaze up his tanned calves and saw his defensive stance, unsure of the situation I sat up and looked to see a red SUV driving down the dirt path where we had come from the day before. I stood up next to him and he gently pushed me behind him. I began to panic. Who were these people who had him so concerned, and why did he push me behind him.

Before I could object, a group of three guys emerged from the vehicle and began to walk towards us, Chase pushed ally the way so that I was completely shielded by him, but I peeked over my shoulder so I could see what was going on. They were walking in what seemed a rehearsed formation, with the largest man in the front. He was tall maybe 6'4, similar to Chase, his muscles rippled and bulged, and his black hair and certain face structure, was that of a native Hawaiian. Behind him there were the other two men, one of which I recognized but couldn't put my finger on how. The largest man stopped when he was about an arm lengths away from us, I felt Chase tense and lift his chin.

"Chase" the man said, as though to greet him.

"What are you doing here Simon?" Chase growled back, in an unearthingly low tone, that I had never heard from him before, though I had not heard him speak much.

Simon smirked "Well it isn't just your land now is it? infact..." he turned to his group and chuckled "I do believe this is our side of the island." Chase tenses even further as Simon took another step closer, now within reach, and crossed his arms over his chest. "It appears you brought a friend" he said looking me straight in the eye. Chase pulled me close to his body and took a step back. His glare was cold and taunting, as if asking Chase to start a fight, and I internally begged him not to, there was no way we could take on these three guys.

"She's none of your business." He snapped back.

" I would love to have her be." the guy I didn't recognize murmured and shot a teasing glance at Chase. He went bone stiff and prepared to lunge at him. I put my hand on his shoulders in an effort to stop him.

"Don't do this." I whispered and he relaxed the slightest bit.

"You should leave." He spoke softly, and I could feel the rage that boiled inside him.

"But we just got here, and we could have so much fun with your girl." The same guy said. Before I knew it Chase threw himself towards the guy, only to be caught by Simon and the guy I recognized.

"Don't speak of her like that ever again, Connor." He spit, fighting to get away from their holds. Connor just stepped closer to Chase's swinging arms and laughed. When he finally calmed down they finally released him and Simon turned to face him, with Connor and the person I still couldn't place back in formation behind Simon.

"Remember Chase, we haven't forgotten what you did. One step out of line, and you know the consequences." Simon stepped even closer to him and said something so low I couldn't hear it, but whatever had come out of that mouth made Chase go still and all the color drained from his face. Simon and the others turned around and stepped in the direction of their car, and relief flooded over me that we had both made it out of this unscathed. Chase still stood in the same place they had left him, frozen, until the car doors slammed. He jumped at the loud noises and all the color rushed back into him, and he became the same man that I had been with before all this. As they drove back up the dirt path, and the red of the SUV was swallowed by the lush rainforest, Chase ran over to me and threw his arms around me. I replied by doing the same and he hugged me so tightly I could barely breathe.

He shot his eyes down to me "Are you ok? I'm so sorry Taylor this should never have happened, I should never have brought you here." The words sped off his tongue and he kissed my forehead repeatedly, sending jolts through my body each time his lips touched my skin. Then he whispered so low, I could barley make out his words "This is all my fault, I should never have let you get involved with me." Before I could read into the meaning of his words, he was already holding me tightly again and our being bodies flush against each other, wiped my mind.