Chapter 10

“Where are you going?” Chase asked, sounding generally perplexed.

“I’m finding a hotel. Thank you again Chase, for everything.” I replied, sticking the key in the ignition of the Jeep, and turning it. The engine roared up, and Chase waited at my window, opening and closing his mouth, as if to say something.

“...Yeah... sure.” There was something in his eyes, but I just couldn’t place it, so I put the car in reverse and backed out the driveway, leaving the past 24 hours events, behind me. We had driven back from the beach, after hours of tinkering with the engine. The drive back had been silent, and awkward, I think we both knew that he needed to tell me what was going on sooner or later, and I wasn’t going to sit around and wait. I needed to stop relying on him, and so that brings me here, driving to find a hotel. 

I had been driving for 5 minutes when I chic looking motel came into view. It was on the ocean, and appeared to be nice, but small. Just what I needed. And so, with that, I pulled right into the parking lot, sloppily parked between the two white lines, and began to walk towards the open doors. The front of the hotel was bright, and sleek, the white hues all seemed to blur together as I entered the sliding glass doors. I was on autopilot, from my exhaustion, as I headed towards the front desk.

A cheery voice erupted from the small girl, and made my head pound “ How can I help you?” I blinked, trying to clear my mind “Excuse me?” I must have been silent longer than I had thought. 

“Right, um, could I please get a room... with a bed..? I mumbled back, already sick of the exuberance in her voice.

“Sure, that will be...”

--------------------------------------------------

After having walked, what seemed like a very long time, I was finally plopped down on my comfortable hotel bed, listening to the crashing of the waves that waited 7 stories beneath me. I knew I needed to get up and brush my teeth, but nothing in me seemed to want to do.

--------------------------------------------------

The next two days passed slowly. I spent them at the hotel room or on the beach just outside the hotel. I was generally in a bad mood. I wanted to figure who Chase is, it was time. And with only one person who I thought would know, I got in the jeep and headed to the Surf Shack.

I pulled into the parking lot, parking in a space that couldn’t be seen from the road, just incase Chase passed by, and headed towards the sand. I took a sharp breath, and stepped towards the small hut, where most of this journey had originated. As I turned the corner, I saw the face I had vowed to avoid for the rest of my life. At first he looked surprised, then his lips turned up into that charming smile, that had dazzled me before. 

“Taylor!” Josh said running a hand through his dark hair, and standing up.

“Josh.” I replied, not even trying to match his enthusiasm. He stepped closer, with only the wood of his shack between us, our proximity was unnerving. “Listen Josh, I’m not here to forgive you, not at all. I’m here because I need answers.”

“I don’t blame you.” he mumbled, his whole demeanor seamed to change, and he  acted as if he owed me something. “What can I tell you.”

I hesitated before replying “Chase.”

“God that idiot, what did he do? Have you been hanging around him? He is dangerous you know, real dangerous. Don’t let him get to you, He -”

“Stop. It is not your place to decide who I interact with, and certainly not your place to tell me who is dangerous.” he understood. 

“What happened?”

“ We were at the beach, a guy, Simon, he came. He threatened him-”

Simon came? Taylor, you have got to keep yourself away from him. Simon will hurt you, if he needs too.”

“Why Josh? Why is he so dangerous? Why does Simon care? What happened.” he looked straight down at his feet, refusing to meet my piercing gaze .

“I can’t tell you that.” He replied after a long while, still not looking at me. “ Just stay away from him, stay out of trouble. If you think I’m dangerous, then you don’t know what your getting into.” Just then a family of 4 walked up, and Josh quickly turned his attention to them, supplying them with surfboards. 

Walking to my car, i was so deep in thought I didn’t even notice the tall figure leaning against the cold black paint job, until I reached for the handle and my hand physically hit him. Looking up, I saw Chase’s warm eyes looking at mine, and my stomach began to flutter. Then I reminded my self what Josh had said, and I forced my developing smile into a straight line.

“If you will excuse me, I need to get into my car.” His face changed, and he tried to look at me, but I wouldn’t let him. I tried to push past him but his cold hands met my shoulders and allowed me no room to move, and in a burst of courage I stared back into his concerned eyes.

“Taylor, whats wrong?” Chase asked me, generally worried. I swallowed hard and began to speak.

“You know whats wrong Chase?” I sputtered, with increasing anger. “ You. That’s whats wrong! I came here to forget about my troubles, but then I met you and here I am again, stuck. Honestly, I like you, I like you so much I don’t understand, but I can’t sit here and hope that you will tell me what is going on, and hoping it doesn’t get anyone hurt in the process. So until you’re ready to tell me, count me out of your crap.” 

I pushed past him, and plopped angrily into my car. I cranked the engine and gave him one last look, in fear I may not see him again. His face broke my heart right in two, he was sad, hurt even, and it was real. Before I could changed my mind I pulled out and drove to my hotel room. 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Wow! Thank you all so much for 77 reads on this story, and ten followers. I know it may not seem like much to people, but I never expected to get anything. So thank you, so so much! 

Sorry it has taken me a long time to get this up, and it is pretty short. I hope you are all enjoying the journey of Chase and Taylor. I'm open to any suggestions you may have, just please be kind. 

I promise they will be together soon, and enjoy this bit of a cliff-hanger. Love you all!!!! 

-bluecrushing